Help with PHP user search of MYsql Database

tabithaboof

I am quite new to PHP/MYsql and I have a site for high scores on a video game based around a simple MYsql database. something like this

username, level1, level2, level3
bob , 1000 , 2000 , 3000
kate , 2000 , 3000 , 4000

I am trying to create a form to let users query the database to find out all the scores for a particular player. I am doing this using an HTML input form:

<form method="post" action="scoreuser.php">

search form:<input type=text name='user' size=20 maxlength=20><input type=submit>

</form>

Based on what I have read "user" should be a variable I can use in the following script for the page "scoreuser.php"

$query = "select * from tbl WHERE username='user'";
$result = mysql_db_query("scoreattack", $query);

if ($result) {

while ($r = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {

$username = $r["username"];
$level1 = $r["level1"];

echo "
$username
$level1"

Unfotunately this doesnt seem to work at all, if I enter "bob" into my form and submit the query I get a blank page. However if I change this line:

to

$query = "select * from tbl WHERE username='bob'";

Than I can display bobs scores. I am assuming I am not connecting the form to "scoreuser.php" correctly or I am getting the syntax for the 'user' variable wrong somewhere.

I am sorry if this is a slightly long query but I wanted to be as clear as possible. Any help would be most greatly appreciated.

[!--quoteo(post=371452:date=May 4 2006, 11:47 PM:name=tabithaboof)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(tabithaboof @ May 4 2006, 11:47 PM) [snapback]371452[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I am quite new to PHP/MYsql and I have a site for high scores on a video game based around a simple MYsql database. something like this
username, level1, level2, level3
bob , 1000 , 2000 , 3000
kate , 2000 , 3000 , 4000

I am trying to create a form to let users query the database to find out all the scores for a particular player. I am doing this using an HTML input form:

<form method="post" action="scoreuser.php">

search form:<input type=text name='user' size=20 maxlength=20><input type=submit>

</form>

Based on what I have read "user" should be a variable I can use in the following script for the page "scoreuser.php"
$result = mysql_db_query("scoreattack", $query);

if ($result) {

while ($r = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {

$username = $r["username"];
$level1 = $r["level1"];
echo "
$username
$level1"

Unfotunately this doesnt seem to work at all, if I enter "bob" into my form and submit the query I get a blank page. However if I change this line:

to

$query = "select * from tbl WHERE username='bob'";

Than I can display bobs scores. I am assuming I am not connecting the form to "scoreuser.php" correctly or I am getting the syntax for the 'user' variable wrong somewhere.

I am sorry if this is a slightly long query but I wanted to be as clear as possible. Any help would be most greatly appreciated.
[/quote]

Close, but to get the variable from the form you must use $_POST, like the following:

[code]
$query = "SELECT * FROM tbl WHERE username='$_POST[user]'";
[/code]

[!--quoteo(post=371459:date=May 5 2006, 01:08 AM:name=Prismatic)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Prismatic @ May 5 2006, 01:08 AM) [snapback]371459[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Close, but to get the variable from the form you must use $_POST, like the following:

[code]
$query = "SELECT * FROM tbl WHERE username='$_POST[user]'";
[/code]
[/quote]

Thank you SO much, you have no idea how long I have been fiddling with this with no luck.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.