Table properties

knuhe

Posting this in a new thread so I don't pollute the board with OT.

As I said in my first post in another thread, I'm completely new to CSS, and obviously
have a lot of questions.

I now want to make a class-tag to define my menutables, like the one I'm been using in HTML for a while:

[code]
<table
    width:="155" height="304" border="1" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"
    bordercolor="#000000# id="table11" style="border-collapse: collapse"
>
[/code]

Now I want to utilize these properties in CSS for easier editing, and i have something like this:

[code]
.tabellmen1 {
    width: 155px;
    height: 304px;
<!-----{and so on....}----->
[/code]

What do I have to write to get my cellpadding, cellspacing and borders right?

Thank you for this valuable forum!

[!--quoteo(post=372072:date=May 7 2006, 07:27 PM:name=moberemk)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(moberemk @ May 7 2006, 07:27 PM) [snapback]372072[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Stop using tables! Stop using tables! Stop using tables! Those are the easy answers. The other answer is to set you're cellpadding and cellspacing values to zero for all.
[/quote]

Since you're so determined, you may also explain why I sholdn't use tables?

Tables are (a) very resistant to CSS design. It's easy to screw them up when you use CSS on them if you're not careful about it. (b) CSS designs are flexible-if you want to switch the left and right columns, you can. And © a lot less markup. Don't you want to stop typing <tr><td> everywhere?
This and other reasons are explained elsewhere on the web-that's just the basic run-down of advantages.

[!--quoteo(post=372079:date=May 7 2006, 08:07 PM:name=moberemk)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(moberemk @ May 7 2006, 08:07 PM) [snapback]372079[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Tables are (a) very resistant to CSS design. It's easy to screw them up when you use CSS on them if you're not careful about it. (b) CSS designs are flexible-if you want to switch the left and right columns, you can. And © a lot less markup. Don't you want to stop typing <tr><td> everywhere?
This and other reasons are explained elsewhere on the web-that's just the basic run-down of advantages.
[/quote]

I see your point. Good to get feedback from experienced coders.
What do you recommend I use instead of tables?

Thanks for all suggestions! I'll have to try using div-tags on a new design.

But back to topic. Since you all seem like experienced coders, I bet one of you are capable
of answering my initial question?

What do I have to write in CSS to get the equivalent of cellpadding, cellspacing and border?

Ah, yes, the original question. :D

The "padding" property will do beautifully for cellpadding, "border-spacing" sounds like it'll do the trick for cellspacing, and "border" will work well for border. :D

"border" as in
[code]border: solid 1px black;[/code]

[!--quoteo(post=372089:date=May 7 2006, 08:55 PM:name=neylitalo)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(neylitalo @ May 7 2006, 08:55 PM) [snapback]372089[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Ah, yes, the original question. :D

The "padding" property will do beautifully for cellpadding, "border-spacing" sounds like it'll do the trick for cellspacing, and "border" will work well for border. :D

"border" as in
[code]border: solid 1px black;[/code]
[/quote]

Thanks!

Just what I wanted:D

[!--quoteo(post=372082:date=May 7 2006, 02:18 PM:name=Knut)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Knut @ May 7 2006, 02:18 PM) [snapback]372082[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I see your point. Good to get feedback from experienced coders.
What do you recommend I use instead of tables?
[/quote]
Wow. I'm an experienced coder now? I must be doing better then I thought.

[!--quoteo(post=372158:date=May 8 2006, 02:05 AM:name=moberemk)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(moberemk @ May 8 2006, 02:05 AM) [snapback]372158[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Wow. I'm an experienced coder now? I must be doing better then I thought.
[/quote]

I make a habit of calling everyone who has more experience than me in something for experienced;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.