PHP, MySQL, two databases...

DaveW

I'm a member of a forum community who, about a month ago, suggested that we could start our own Wiki in order to build a structured database of technical information for the users of the forum, to save visitors trawling through month old posts in order to find info.

Anyway, i'm a programmer so i was paired up with a guy who does graphic design and we got to work on a MediaWiki skin in order to make it fit in with the forums. The eventual aim is to drop the mediawiki's username database, and somehow link it up to the forum's username database. Unfortunately i'm not as good with PHP and MySQL as i should be, although i do understand the underlying theories...somewhat.

Basically, i have the skills but the not the experience to do this and the fact that the MediaWiki's documentation is all a bit thrown together doesn't really help.

What i'm thinking about doing is using the cookies dropped by the forum, and hacking MediaWiki so that it recognises these as loggin data. We've agreed that making people sign up for the forums and the wiki is only going to make things worse, so we really want to add the wiki's functionality right into the forums.

Anyone with pointers, ideas, suggestions, i'd really appreciate them all here. I can currently only get access to the schema for the wiki, but i can tell you that the forum only drops an encrypted password and a username in it's cookie.

Another possibility is that i make some sort of hook, which automatically adds a user to the wiki's database depending on the information stored in the cookie, but i'd much rather have the simplicity of a single database.

Oh, and the final catch: i'd like to do all this without changing any of the forum's code. It might be possible to add a few attributes to the Forum's schema to make it compatible with the wiki, but i'd rather like to avoid having the wiki able to modify the forum's name/password database.

I've got experience with Object Oriented and Functional programming languages, along with SQL and relational algebra, so i figured this was something i should be able to pick up pretty fast-i'm not doing too badly so far, but i really need a few pointers on this in order to get me started...thanks in advance for any advice and information.

-Dave

MediaWiki already has a couple of predefined scripts that can integrate MediaWiki with a couple of forums, such as phpBB, SMF, IPB etc [a href=\"http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Integration\" target=\"_blank\"]here[/a]

Thanks so much! We're using the VBulliten and i found some great scripts on that link. Now we're probably about a month ahead of schedule with all that documentation!

Honestly, you the man!

-Dave

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.