Photo

gif: bouncing lettered balls, what software?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jasonc

jasonc
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 04:56 PM

I am wanting to buy/use software to enable me to create gif files that has bouncing balls with different letters on each ball.

can anyone suggest something they may have used.

I have tried to create them using paintshoppro, but this would involve creating each letter seperately, is there something that i can use where i change the text and the programe does the rest?

not sure if i am making myself clear on this.

hope someone knows what i mean, if not ask and i will try to discribe it better.

thank you

#2 ober

ober
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,337 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:36 PM

I don't think you're going to find anything that's going to make it that easy.

Info: PHP Manual

#3 moberemk

moberemk
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 695 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:45 PM

You aren't going to find something to make that easy, and you shouldn't; it's really just not very good design technique.
Disclaimer: No matter how harsh I may be, I'm always IMO only.

#4 Kris

Kris
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,755 posts
  • LocationThe Internet

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:13 PM

You could write a PHP script to generate them, depends your PHP skill level and on their complexity though I guess, if you want them 3D looking and stuff - would be a pain in the arse getting the shadows and curvature of the lettering right. Flat 2D balls should be faurly simple though.

#5 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 03:09 AM

what !? omg i can't believe nobody mentioned [!--sizeo:5--][span style=\"font-size:18pt;line-height:100%\"][!--/sizeo--]FLASH
[!--sizec--][/span][!--/sizec--]

isn't that the painfully obvious choice? i thought it would have been a common sense response, like, "gee, what program should i use to edit a .jpg file?" and then everybody and their moms mentioning something about photoshop or paintshop pro.

jasonc - macromedia flash. You can make your little ball and make it look 3d or however you want it to look. your imagination is the limit. Then on a seperate layer you can make a dynamic text field, where you can make it display whatever letter you want. you can group these 2 layers into a single multilayered symbol and make it bounce up and down or left and right or whatever you want it to do, with flash's built in actionscripting language.

you can even use the actionscript loadvar function to get data from an external source and put that data into your dynamic text field.....like.... PHP or javascript!

flash is the shiznit. it's what all the hip and cool people have. get it. get it now.

[!--quoteo(post=372458:date=May 8 2006, 06:45 PM:name=moberemk)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(moberemk @ May 8 2006, 06:45 PM) View Post[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
You aren't going to find something to make that easy, and you shouldn't; it's really just not very good design technique.
[/quote]
since when is making your content dynamic not a very good design technique?
Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#6 akitchin

akitchin
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 10 May 2006 - 05:29 AM

i believe one of the mentioned requirements was .gif..

#7 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:06 AM

well it would still be faster. you can export to .gif in flash. :/
Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users