FOPEN other options outside R W A....

Michael4172

What I'm wanting to do sounds very simple but the options I know of and have searched for haven't lead to an answer yet.

Basically I'm trying to find a method within FOPEN, to just replace a character or number within the line. I know W (write) would simply write over the existing information, and A (append) would just add to the file at the end. Is there some happy medium where I can change say one character or number within the file and leave the rest of the file as is?

If you want to edit something in a file then you'll want to get the contents of the file, apply the changes and then rewrite the file.

You will want to use fopen, fread, str/preg_replace or other functions and then fwrite and fclose.

You cannot edit inside a file you can only append to or rewrite the whole entire file.

That is why I said to use [a href=\"http://uk.php.net/manual/en/function.fread.php\" target=\"_blank\"]fread[/a] which you can then you add the contents of the file into a variable. Then use str/preg_replace to do the changes and use fwrite to rewrite the file with changes.

For example you have a file called test.txt with the following text init:
[code]this sentance has a mistake in it[/code]
Now you want to change the sentace to something else. You will do that by doing the following:
[a href=\"http://pastebin.com/705891\" target=\"_blank\"]click to see code[/a]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.