Web Design Website

moon 111

It is basically the overuse of graphics; Gradients in bars / backgrounds -- a stream of light of buttons to make them look like there reflecting etc. And dont get me wrong sometimes the simplistic design is needed, but with a web design setup (and maybe its just me and my retardly perfectionistic ways) you will need to create that initial wow factor when the site is first opened; maybe it wouldn't be like that if you already have a decent customer base?

I can tell you if I were looking for a web designer to create a site for me, my thoughts will need to be reinforced by my initial impression. Once again though this is coming from me (since I am a webdesigner its something i have come to expect, I am not sure how the 'actual' customer would react).

Check this site out it has some nice examples:

http://bestwebgallery.com/

if it's extremely cheap prices, might be ok.

but if the client has a fair budget you wont get the business - there's just nothing about your site that makes it better than a competitor.

on a miror note, the bmp image in the portfolio should be made into a jpg or png, to make it load faster.

Maybe instead of trying to start up a web designing buisness, you can grab a good book and learn how to code 100% in CSS - no tables. You can also grab a book on good web design, another book on simple html syntax and then a good php book.

Don't be jumping the gun, instead take the necessary steps to create something with the "WOW" factor.  ;D

well the fact is the web design is adequate. it doesn't need to wow. if prices are cheap, it can be a good deal for a company that just wants to put a bit of corporate blurb online but can't afford a wowing website

well the fact is the web design is adequate. it doesn't need to wow. if prices are cheap, it can be a good deal for a company that just wants to put a bit of corporate blurb online but can't afford a wowing website

Or your site can "WOW" people and still be cheap?

thanks for the link, will be useful to me.

but there's lots of free templates out there which are of no use to someone with no web design skills whatsoever, such as the clients of the guy who's site we just reviewed

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I do like the logo; it's professional-looking. I also like the blend of colors, it's rather pleasing to the eyes, IMO; not too much blue, and not an eye-hurting shade of blue.

Like what everyone else said, there is nothing on the site to really catch and keep anyone's attention. You want to get their attention, keep their attention, and get them to act (buy your services). Your site does not do any of these things.

There isn't any content by which to judge your site:

You have nothing in your portfolio section. If you actually have no sites to put there then I suggest you create some to show visitors the diverseness of your skill.

The most critical thing you're missing is a services section. A lot of web design companies will list the types of services they offer so visitors viewing the site can review the services to see if they offer what they want. I have no idea from looking at your site what you really offer besides basic HTML and a CMS. Do you offer Flash, graphic/logo design, shopping carts, database development/design? Do you develop in any languages besides PHP or do custom application development?

If you have an actual physical address and phone number for your site then listing them on your site will legitimize it more than just having a web address. When I look at web design sites, trustworthiness is based in part on whether they have an actual physical address and/or telephone number by which to contact them. Of course it's not required, and some companies don't have these things, but it can, IMO, increase the trustworthiness of your site.

If you want some ideas, or to benchmark your site against some of the better ones (subjective, yes) then take a look in these categories, some sites are excellent and obviously done by professionals, and some are not, but you can maybe get some ideas for your own site. http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Internet/Web_Design_and_Development/Designers/

I know your site is incomplete, so I expect more information will be added to it over time.

As a web designer myself, I would advice you to put your current site on hold and read 2 or 3 books on CSS design. I can't tell you how much it pisses me off when some web designer tries to start a "web designing company" and barely knows how to code clean CSS.

I don't want to sound to rash, but you don't understand how powerful CSS. Only 9 months ago I was in your shoes yelling at the computer screen because I didn't know what the hell was going on, but as I began to practice and learn, I realized that CSS is god. Go to Barnes & Nobles and get yourself a good CSS book.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.