• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mistakes!

mistakes!
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 01:39 AM

hello can anyone please tell me the difference between cookies and sessions? as i am struggling on which one to use

cheers.

#2 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 02:21 AM

the simple watered down version:

a session is a method of carrying variables over from 1 page to the next. all the information in the session variables are stored on the server where the script is. a session id is linked to all these variables, and the webbrowser sends the session id to the server when requesting access to a page that accesses those variables.

a cookie is basically a variable with an expiration date that's stored on the user's computer.
Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#3 mistakes!

mistakes!
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 04:13 AM

[!--quoteo(post=372481:date=May 8 2006, 09:21 PM:name=Crayon Violent)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Crayon Violent @ May 8 2006, 09:21 PM) View Post[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
the simple watered down version:

a session is a method of carrying variables over from 1 page to the next. all the information in the session variables are stored on the server where the script is. a session id is linked to all these variables, and the webbrowser sends the session id to the server when requesting access to a page that accesses those variables.

a cookie is basically a variable with an expiration date that's stored on the user's computer.
[/quote]

thanks alot or that!
much appreciated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users