Personal Server

Ads

Lol i did, it made no Sense, >.>

I am looking into Hosting a website, But i heard You can do Just as well off of a Personal Computer, Now i was interested by this, because this could save me a lot of Monthly fees, and hassle with a web hosting company. but i have no idea how to do something like this, So i was wondering if someone could give me some info on doing something like this. Maybe some things that i need to know and Just helpful hints :).

If you have no idea how to do it, I would suggest not doing it. Your site and server will get hacked.

It is easy enough to do for a simple personal website however. You will need a fast internet connection with at least 512 of upload bandwidth. Your ISP will also need to allow hosting of services.

If all that is in place you simply setup a dedicated machine with the LAMP stack on it and allow your router to forward port 80 to this machine.

There are then services around like dyndns.org (the one I use) which for a small fee will host your domain name and provide you with a DNS service.

If you are interested in doing this for a few personal sites, Id'e say go ahead, its a great learning experience. But if you planned on hosting any client sites I wouldn't recommend it without a fair bit of experience in *nix server admin.

If you know what you are doing, then its probably best to use your own. I run serveral servers, not from my house anymore because unforunately I can't get a quick enough connection. I hire a few VPS's which I then maintain.

Again though, I say you need to know what you are doing. Otherwise, your probably best to leave it to the people who do know what they are doing.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.