A question about the Registry Pattern

OldWolf

Howdy again all,

So I was reading through a tutorial on the registry pattern.  It seems like a great idea, but here's where I get a little confused:

For the registry pattern, you "register" an object with something like $registry->set ('db', $db);  Then, to call it, you do something like $db =& $registry->get('db');  Obviously I'm dropping a lot of steps, but these are relevent to my question.

What I don't understand (and correct me if my next statement is wrong, that might be the issue) is the idea behind the registry pattern is to avoid using globals to move objects between scopes... but how is it any better than using global, since you're still depending on external code?  Or does it have a different purpose?

The reason I ask is because I'm looking for a way to avoid globals within my functions, but I also don't want to pass all the various objects I'll need through the parameters.  :)

the issue i have is that way people would access object in my framework.  I like accessing variable like $this->database->query($query); instead of something like $this->registry->get('database')->query($query); of have to set the database variable in every class that need it is the contructor, it is much cleaner to me to just set it in the base the that all classes in my framework extend from in one way or another.  The ability to store objects in another object does not provide anything to me.

• 2 weeks later...

i am, that's my point, no need for a registry pattern.

So what happens if you need to change your database class? Oops! You've got lots of finding/replacing to do!

and on platforms that are stateful (i.e. not PHP) the registry is also much more usefull than a singleton, because it can be maintained within the session, and as it's nature is to maintain single instances of objects, it allows you to create instances unique to each session, but maintain the same "singleton" effect.

And for those who really want to make the components re-usable, use the dependency injenction pattern instead of the registry. global stuff like singletons and registries aren't really better than a simple

function x()
{
    global $x;
}

They just look better ;D

i am, that's my point, no need for a registry pattern.

So what happens if you need to change your database class? Oops! You've got lots of finding/replacing to do!

Could you explain how a registry solves this problem, is seems the problem would exist either way?

I was only thing that if i use a registry that i would not be able to do $this->database->whatever but that might not be true, I will look into for the new version of my framework but I would still like to know the answer to the question above.

The only way to solve this problem is to define a good interface for Databases. For example:

interface DB
{
    public function query($query);
    public function fetch($res);
    // ...
}

class IAmUsingADatabase
{
    private $db;

public function __construct(DB $db)
    {
        $this->db = $db;
    }
}

So your classes are only using the methods of the interface. Now, if you want to use another database class that goes like this:

class 3rdPartyDBClass
{
   public function execute($query)
   {
        // ...
   }

public function fetchAssoc($res)
   {
        // ...
   }
}

Extend it like this:

class MyDB extends 3rdPartyDBClass implements DB
{
    public function query($query)
    {
        parent::execute($query);
    }

public function fetch($res)
    {
        parent::fetchAssoc($res);
    }
}

I hope this helps. (And again: Registries are ugly, DI's are much better, see post above.)

I didn't post any example of DI. I just made an example for a good and clean OOP. To understand why this is important, you should read the following article: PDF

If you have any questions after reading it, i can show you an example with my classes in my post above.

ok, here is a code example:

<?php
class base
{
private $configuration;

public function __construct(configuration $configuration)
{
	$this->configuration = $configuration;
}
}

class base_data extends base
{
public function __construct(configuration $configuration)
{
	parent::__construct($configuration);
}
}

class base_controller extends base
{
private $url_helper;

public function __construct(configuration $configuration, url_helper $url_helper)
{
	$this->url_helper = $url_helper;
}
}

class base_model extends base_data
{
private $database;

public function __construct(configuration $configuration, database $database)
{
	$this->database = $database;
}
}

class site extends base_controller
{
private $database;

public function __construct(configuration $configuration, url_helper $url_helper, database $database)
{
	parent::__construct($configuration, $url_helper);
	$this->database = $database;
}
}
?>

Now is this following DI?  Know i see the point of doing this however I don't see this as a real good option for my mvc framework since all these classes are going to be singletons anyways.  This to me is much easier to maintain and expand apon:

<?php
class base
{
private $configuration;

public function __construct()
{
	$this->configuration = configuration::get_instance();
}
}

class base_data extends base
{
{
	parent::__construct();
}
}

class base_controller extends base
{
private $url_helper;

{
	$this->url_helper = url_helper::get_instance();
}
}

class base_model extends base_data
{
private $database;

{
	$this->database = database::get_instance();
}
}

class site extends base_controller
{
private $database;

{
	$this->database = database::get_instance();
}
}
?>

The me which way you would make a framework, the first and or the second way and why.

I also thing DI is a bit more useful for single classes however when i am talking about my framework, the framework is designed to work together so coupling them is not a real issue.  Having to maintain and make sure I pass the correct object are being passed is going ot be a lot harder to maintain and extend then if it is done automatically.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.