Artificial inteligent via php

asdfghjkl

Hello i am searching for something for my site but i want smtng realy cool and my question is can i program some kind of artificial inteligent without need to define every action it is executing i mean some of them to be random or something . Can i put all functions defined in php into one variable or somtng and use them them all in one? if can't then tell where to look for something like that .

Guest askjames01
i think those are possible.
but you must study PHP and artificial inteligent first,
because they are very wide topics specially A.I. just imagine the human brain it was here they get the
most of the idea regarding A.I.. and you must be good in MATH brother to make your A.I. smart. :)

actually i tried to study A.I. before but it was too complicated that it needed this complex mathematics
computations so i decided to stop...

apart from knowing php intimately, you will likely need a fair bit of knowledge of number theory and probability, as well as statistics. frankly, it's a very complex subject and php is not well-suited to the purpose. frankly i think you're after a pipedream looking to make simulated AI with PHP.

Actually, mathematics is not the way to go. In order to be considered an AI, the "program" has to pass the turing test. well basically how the turing test works is if you can't tell whether you are conversing with a human or a program, it passes. Now, this is obviously extremely subjective, as everybody has their own preconceived notions as to what they consider to be "intelligent." That is, what may fool me, may not fool you.

So in a sense, AI already exists, by our own standards of testing, but in another sense, it doesn't, depending on who does the testing.

The problem with the turing test is that, let's say that a program is developed that somehow manages to fool everybody. Would it then be considered real intelligence, or would it just be a non-sentient program that managed to fool everybody? and if it did fool everybody, then how would we know we created a "real" AI, seeing as how the point of the turing test is to fool the converser into believing they are talking to a human.

If you want to get into AI, then you need to mostly focus on psychology, especially behavioral psychology. The coding is mostly an afterthought to the process.

Making an obscenely long and complicated algorythm to determine action only makes the program more logical and, if anything, less "human." Why? because human intelligence is imperfect. So, the more people strive to 'perfect' the algorythm, the less likely the program will actually pass our flawed tests for intelligence.

Think about it. How many times have people done something "for the hell of it." or it "seemed like a good idea at the time...." This is human nature. Since we would obviously not make a program capable of firing off all of the world's nuclear weapons "for the hell of it," or because it "seemed like a good thing at the time," making a "true" AI - that is, one that is perfectly indistinguishable from a human, is doomed to failure from the getgo.

he's got a good point. if you want a true artificially intelligent program, you'd have to study neuroscience, given that the brain is what technically defines intelligence.

the math method is more for dynamic situation assessment, which is usually based on past "situations" the program encounters and employing probability to determine the program's response. this in itself (as crayon said) is not intelligence - it is essentially just an empirical calculator. while there's speculation that the brain does partly work in this way (read about bayesian filtering [common spam filtering method] and the brain), it does not come anywhere near covering the whole picture. at all.

personally, i don't think AI will ever be possible without a similar structure to the human body. while the brain is the centre of intelligence, its decisions and what we'd call emotion generally stem from the rest of the body in its entirety (its biochemistry and physiology). this is entirely opinion, and much of it unstudied (i'm only a chemist, not a neuroscientist nor a physiologist, nor a biologist). this is also entirely off-topic. i'm going to move this to misc, because i think it's strayed too far from anything PHP.

AI uses a lot of recursive, and PHP does not handle it very well (in term of memory handling).

a good language for AI is C++, and there is way to make C++ work with website.

Guest askjames01
[img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":wink:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

yap i agree with that notion with hvle
c++ and Java i think will do because they are full bloom OOP
languages. and PHP has so many gaps.

You should pick some book out there regarding A.I. so that you'll
get an idea regarding to it.

and i'm sure you are suprise with plenty and intense mathematical
computations... You must be good in math to make your own
A.I. progarm.

GOOD LUCK!

i think in some ways, maybe some of these answers are overcomplicating things a little.
sure, AI in its sci-fi sense is a complicated subject, but on a simple level, even an 'if/else' or 'switch' statement in php is a form of artificial intelligence - making decisions depending on certain factors. google itself is also a form of AI - you give it a suggestion, and not only does it search for what you want but also tries to organise results in terms of relevence.

it really depends on how complicated you're looking to make things. if it's more simple stuff like search engine type stuff, then fine - that'd be easy enough. however, if it's full blown stuff like you'd see in some games, then PHP really isnt the right language. in theory - yes it's more than possible. but in practice, it would be very slow due to the way php code is structured and due to the fact that PHP is scripting language , where as what YOU would need is compiled, optimised standalone code.

hope that helps
Cheers
Mark

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.