bottom bar nav

Ninjakreborn

I have been trying to figure this out any ideas.
I have tried for awhile
is there a way with css, I see a lot of people with navigation bars at the bottom, or different things at the bottom, how do I use css, to get it to conform to whatever else is one the page, some pages are longer than others, I was hoping there was a way, it would autoset based on how tall the text on the page is, because it is a pain having to reposition it for every single page.

It should automatically reposition it self, regardless of how much or how little the page has. If you are using floats then on your main tag for the footer use the [i][b]clear: both[/b][/i] attribute, that should sort it out. Or you have a bug in your CSS which is causing this to happen.

Also could you post a link to an example of the problem, as I dont quite understand what you mean.

it's just in general. I position it either absolute or relative, no matter what, it doesn't stay at the bottom, I decided to stick with the hard way, I just use the external style sheet like I always do, but the position of that one element I clear up in every page with an inline style.
I have been fighting with it, trying floats, and positioning it to the bottom, I was thinking maybe php, or javascript could set it's position based on the length of the page, but that turned up nothing as well.

Thats your problem! Dont use absolute positioning on all elements! You can achive the same affect with the use paddings, margins and floats. It keeps the CSS simple easier to code.

I have looked through your css and all elements have absoloute positioning! It is not needed!

I see for some odd reason you use an absolute position on your header graphic to clear the space between the top and left hand side of the browser. You can clear this space with setting a padding and margin off 0px on the body tag!

I think you need to have a look at the many uses of margins and paddings have!

Also I must say you are going the right way with a CSS layout too!

Also as a reference I quickly recoded your CSS and changed your classes to ids and added a new div in and came up with [a href=\"http://homepage.ntlworld.com/cshepwood/businessman/freelancebusinessman.html\" target=\"_blank\"]this[/a]

That uses floats, margins and padding and not absolute possitioning in site.

That sparks my attention, which are better classes or id's. And do you think the old design looks better, or the stylesheet you showed me, if you think that one is better, I should use that as a design, if it's a lot better than the other one. Hmm, that also removed all the browser incompatibilities. I think I will try my old design, and do what you said, and use some floats, and remove the absolute positioning. I am still wondering about the class and id, I wanted to use both worlds, so I thought classes on single elements, for instance if I had just a logo, it's just one element. But then I was using multiple sets of elements with the other, with #, because I was thinking it worked better, any help might give me a better understanding of css. thanks so far for all the help.

I prefer ids for the tag that is a parent of something, such as the div that contains the links. And then use classes on elements within the parent div such as the unordered list tags or on the links.

I hardly use classes. I just seem to use ids more.

Also I am not saying use the design I created as its not finished, that was just me playing around with colours. However its the css you want to concentrate on.

ok, since I like your layout a lot better, can i use that layout there, and just change around the coloring, and rework, the names of the id's and classes, back the way I had them, and use that general layout, I look at your copy and my copy, mine isn't laid out as well, and has severe issues in firefox and opera, but yours looks perfect in all of them, is this ok with you.

I Decided, instead of ripping your code completely, I will just look at your code, and I will look at what you have set for different elements, and just see some of your margin, positioning, and padding code, and borrow that, and try to style it took look about the same as far as the way it's laid out, I have gotten 40 times better at css since I started this site, and talking with you this time through got me even better, I think I will keep using the . for the 1 items, and the # for the larger sections of elements.
Thanks for all the help, thanks for all the advice. What amazes me truly is your age. You are like 16-17 which is 5 years younger than me, you seem to know more about css, xhtml, javascript, php, and sql than anybody I have ever seen, when you are 22, you will be a veritable god at web design. Especially when you can throw together code in 2 minutes just playing around with it, and inadvertently make itlook better than mine which took 2 days, of thinking about planning. I am very amazed and highly surprised, there are so far 3 people I look up to on the forums, you ober, and semi-apocolypse, I think all of those 3 people know quite a bit, and if not for those three learning what I know now would have taken 4 times longer.

[!--quoteo(post=372684:date=May 9 2006, 07:26 PM:name=businessman332211)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(businessman332211 @ May 9 2006, 07:26 PM) [snapback]372684[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
ok, since I like your layout a lot better, can i use that layout there, and just change around the coloring, and rework, the names of the id's and classes, back the way I had them, and use that general layout, I look at your copy and my copy, mine isn't laid out as well, and has severe issues in firefox and opera, but yours looks perfect in all of them, is this ok with you.
[/quote]

You can use the code and do what ever you want with it. I would recommend you to download the site I linked to and play about with the CSS to learn what each bit does. Thats the best way of learning just completly destruct the CSS and put it back together again and have a play.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.