Information on Expired Sessions?

mb81

I'm getting into some more advanced work with sessions and thought I would throw out a question: Is there any way, using just $_SESSION variables and PHP functions, to determine if there has ever been a session for that user?

I'm not really trying to get into cookies and all that, just trying to see if the person has been there before and send give them a different message based on that information.

Actually no cookies/session files get deleted from the client or the server. What happens is PHP sets a sessionid in a special cookie which wont work after the user closes the browser or if the script that uses sessesions destroys the session.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.