Fireworks

ldsmike88

When you first install Macromedia Fireworks 8 if you right-click on an image, you can select "Edit with Fireworks" right under "Open." I just installed some software to go with my new Canon camera and the Edit with Fireworks option is no longer on the list that pops up. The only way for me to open it in fireworks by right-clicking would be to go down to "Open with..." and that just isn't good enough. Does anyone know how to restor this feature? Thanks

Mike

I'm quite sure there are registry enteries for those menu items - Can't remember exactly where they are though. Google should be able to help you out I would have thought.

may be a little more than what you're looking for, but:

[a href=\"http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1838907,00.asp\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1838907,00.asp[/a]

Yes when you select if from the open with window it is always there. But that's not what I'm looking for. I want it to be right under open where it is suposed to say Edit with Fireworks. And yes akitchen, I think that was a little more than I wanted. Nice article though.

Any more ideas? I mean I could always reinstall it but I thought there would be an easier way.

Mike

There is an easier way which is manually adding the Edit with Firworks option to the right click menu on a gif file for example. You can do this by doing the following:
1. Open up a Windows Explorer window, such as open up My Documents.
2. Now go to Tool > Folder Options
3. Select the File Types tab.
4. Search for a image file extension such as, GIF, in the Registered File Types area and left click on it
5. Click the Advanced button underneath the Registered File Types area
6. Now the New.. button
7. In the Action textbox type in Edit with Fireworks 8 or whatever version of Fireworks you have
8. In the Application used to perform action textbox click the Browse button. Now in the file browser window navigate to Fireworks.exe file. The path to file should be something like this:
[i]C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Fireworks 8\Fireworks.exe[/i]
9. Now click Ok.
9. Click Ok in the Edit File Type window
10. Click Appy in the Folder Options window and click the close button after. Now go to a gif file and right click on it. You should see the Edit with Firworks option and when you select that option the images should open up into fireworks for editing.

NOTE: You will have to repeat all the steps above for each and every file extension you like to open up in Fireworks, for example JPG, BMP etc.

I got to about step 7 and couldn't find the textbox you were talking about. I am using Windows XP Professional. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. But I fixed it already. I just went to add/remove programs and clicked on repair. Thanks for all your help and suggestions!

Michael

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.