anyone running Mac OSX server for web hosting?

Do you meen to actually host public sites or just for developement?

I wouldn't recommend hosting a public site on any OS that has software installed that is not required. ie: A webserver should be dedicated to being a webserver.

I'm looking at an xserve to manage about 40 domains. It should provide the power of LAMP without the management nightmare I'm having right now.

I'm working in a plesk environment (which is barely a management utility), and having to do quite a bit of command line stuff to get things working right. I am wondering if the osx server software is as easy to configure websites, email, etc, as plesk is?

I'd just hate to drop $3,500 and be disappointed.

Sorry, I have no OSX or Xserve experience at all, so couldn't really advice you. I've never used plesk or anything similar either having always prefering to do things via shell access.

I manage a few servers (3) running a few sites each but would have thought you would have a fair amount of server admin experience before getting to the point of managing 40+ domains.

What sorts of problems are you having exactly?

my email stopped working a while back. dnsstuff said it was timing out. I also couldn't ftp out from the server, or even do a whois, ping, or host lookup by domain name. I found out the nameserver in my /etc/resolv.conf file was not responding, so I had to switch to an opendns.org one. Now everything is slow, and curl_lib is not working. Latest hack is doing `curl` instead.

I also had a catastrophic hardware failure a few months back. It took the ISP about eight days to replace the machine. The latest thing is, I've been waiting for them to do a cold restart of the server since the 20th of February. I've also been waiting for their DNS nameserver to come back online for about the same amount of time.

Seems most of your issues are related to your hosting provider then? Is this a hired dedicated server or something? Or are you using a co-location?

Either way, if it where me I'de be looking for another provider.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.