The Scrutinizer

phileplanet

I just released a new web service called [a href=\"http://www.scrutinizer.phileplanet.com/\" target=\"_blank\"]The Scrutinizer[/a]. It lets you test a URL against many web services via form submission, a bookmarklet or referal. Let me know what you guys think and please suggest any links that should be there.

[!--quoteo(post=372803:date=May 9 2006, 10:12 PM:name=akitchin)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(akitchin @ May 9 2006, 10:12 PM) [snapback]372803[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
on first glance, i would recommend a clearer "home" link. it took me a while to find the ones that underline and overline the site title. i would normally have expected it to be on the actual "logo."
[/quote]
Yea actually it is supposed to be on the logo. the technique I used works fine on my main site (phileplanet.com) but it acts all funny here. I am still trying to work that out. Is there anything else?

Hi - its a very resourceful website - tons of tools I have bookmarked. I like especially the safair emulator which takes pictures of my website at different res's. Its always a good feeling when all of my existing sites work on safari - which I havnt been able to test.

Your website could do with a little work. Perhaps putting borders on the left and right would contain the website a little better.

-steve

Nice site with a lot of tools... and I may give a more detailed critique later, but one major thing I noticed is that your little "this is your URL, press the go button" DOESN'T DO ANYTHING.

Am I missing something?

[!--quoteo(post=372905:date=May 10 2006, 08:38 AM:name=ober)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ober @ May 10 2006, 08:38 AM) [snapback]372905[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Nice site with a lot of tools... and I may give a more detailed critique later, but one major thing I noticed is that your little "this is your URL, press the go button" DOESN'T DO ANYTHING.

Am I missing something?
[/quote]
I wanted people to know what they were Scrutinizing and so I made it an anchor to their URL. Then someone brought up a good point and said that there should be a form to submit their URL.

That's basically what it does. If you have a way to improve it please let me know as it is a bit awkward in some cases.

I agree with the above posts that it is confusing. Maybe instead of saying "You URL is:" You could say, "Please the URL you wish to Scrutinize". Change the GO button to "SET URL".

Then instruct the user to click the links below to scrutinize the URL they just entered.

I find this site very intimidating!

It's way too red and way too green, and this might be because I looking at on a 19", it makes me want to close the browser window quickly.

I'm not even going to read the black links on their red background, I'd could care less what they say.

(Allthough those are interesting links [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":wink:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /] )

[!--quoteo(post=373235:date=May 11 2006, 05:54 AM:name=448191)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(448191 @ May 11 2006, 05:54 AM) [snapback]373235[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I find this site very intimidating!

It's way too red and way too green, and this might be because I looking at on a 19", it makes me want to close the browser window quickly.

I'm not even going to read the black links on their red background, I'd could care less what they say.
(Allthough those are interesting links [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":wink:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /] )
[/quote]
Wow, that's a very different opinion! What colours would you suggest?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.