Window XP License Key

Heero

Hey guys,

Newbie question here. I was using this Belarc Advisor program to locate software information on my computer and I noticed it also prints out my Software License Keys for windows XP. I don't recall ever entering my software license key when installing windows XP, only my product key.

So my question is:

How does the program know what my license key is?

Thanks

Guest askjames01
[img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":wink:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

I'm not so sure but i think it get the info from this --> REGISTRY,
actually it's a place inside windows system when everytime you
install a software including O.S.

The software license key is not the same thing as the product key because the program lists two separate numbers for them.

Yeah, it probably does get the information from the registry. But still the questions remains:

How did it get there in the first place?

Hey there,
Definitely the information is fetched from the System REgistry. The product key is somehow converted to the License Number which is present in the registry. Dont remember the exact location. but the userinfo is also present there.

[!--quoteo(post=372854:date=May 10 2006, 02:36 PM:name=Heero)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Heero @ May 10 2006, 02:36 PM) [snapback]372854[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Hey guys,

Newbie question here. I was using this Belarc Advisor program to locate software information on my computer and I noticed it also prints out my Software License Keys for windows XP. I don't recall ever entering my software license key when installing windows XP, only my product key.

So my question is:

How does the program know what my license key is?

Thanks
[/quote]

The product key could possibly be converted into a software license, but I ran the program on separate computers using the same product key and the software license numbers showed up differently.

Microsoft has been hiding something from us...... [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":wink:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=373180:date=May 11 2006, 07:02 AM:name=Heero)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Heero @ May 11 2006, 07:02 AM) [snapback]373180[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
The product key could possibly be converted into a software license, but I ran the program on separate computers using the same product key and the software license numbers showed up differently.

Microsoft has been hiding something from us...... [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":wink:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]
[/quote]

The product key refers to the one on the microsoft box. Every time you re-install windows you will use this. but the instalation software generates a lice key based on this, and every time you install it you will get a diferent number.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.