get inserted id(auto) from insert statement

shocker-z

Hi there fella's and lasses..

im running this code
[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
$count_add_q=mysql_query("INSERT INTO countdowns (username, date, subject, description, txtcolor, bgcolor) VALUES('$session_username','$count_date','$count_subject','$count_description','$count_txtcolor','$count_bgcolor')");
[/quote]

Just wondered if there is a way that from that insert statement i can also grab the ID that is added auto.. Recently i have basicaly done a select statement to select all the exact data that has been inserted but i feel that there must be an easier way??

Regards
Liam (stuck at work while sun is out and blue skys (peeping thru the small window at end of tech callcentre :( ))

**yes that was a vote for sympathy [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":smile:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /] **

I believed you are look for [a href=\"http://uk.php.net/manual/en/function.mysql-insert-id.php\" target=\"_blank\"]mysql_insert_id[/a]

This funtions returns the the previous auto_incremented row. Click the link above for more information on the function.

That will work in most cases, but if you have a lot of concurrent inserts, it's going to be wrong part of the time. mysql_insert_id() always uses the same resource to get the correct ID value.

agree with ober. MAX(ID) might not always be the one you've just inserted for that particular connection. if you prefer sql, try
[!--sql--][div class=\'sqltop\']SQL[/div][div class=\'sqlmain\'][!--sql1--][span style=\'color:blue;font-weight:bold\']SELECT[/span] LAST_[span style=\'color:blue;font-weight:bold\']INSERT[/span]_ID() [color=green]FROM[/color] [color=orange]table[/color] [!--sql2--][/div][!--sql3--]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.