Subforum suggestion: Application design

I recently posted an application design question in "PHP Help", got 0 relevant replies and bumped of the first page and into oblivion in a day.

This other guy posted a application design question on the same day. I was unable to help him, and his question also got bumped of the first page.

When we get bumped, we could of course bump back, but that is hardly ideal.

I'd like to see a subforum for this type of question, it would be a logical supplement in my opinion.

Talking about [a href=\"http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=93183\" target=\"_blank\"]this[/a] and [a href=\"http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=93101\" target=\"_blank\"]this[/a] thread.

P.S. What happend to the "SOLVED" buttons?

1) moving to the second page without a reply is an indication that no one either knows how to answer the question or understands the question. I suggest it's probably the first, hence making a seperate board for it isn't going to help. We don't get many questions like that here and when we do, I have no problem with them being in PHP Help. I also have no problem with you continuing to bump them if they get pushed off the first page. I don't think any of the other mods will either.

2) The "SOLVED" button was wiped out in the last forums upgrade and no one has taken the time to dig through the code to figure out how to put it back in. AFAIK, there are no plans to re-create the mod at this time.

well, with all these php coders laying around, i really would like the SOLVED button to return. I thought it was a very convenient thing.

- as a helper: It makes it very easy for us who spend the day looking for problems they can help solve. If a thread has well, pretty much more than 1 reply to it, is it solved or is it not? And even worse, If it has like 8+ posts in it, I don't want to waste my time looking through it if it's solved already.

- as a learner: I used to go to the solved ones all the time, because they were good places to learn things. Someone would present a problem and I knew the solution would be there at the end of the thread, so I could learn a lot about coding and trouble shooting.

- as someone looking for help: Doing a search for your problem to see if there is already a solution would be easier. I could sift through the threads that are marked as solved, because I know there would be an answer there. Did the search form even allow you to filter by threads marked as solved? Well, if it didn't, then I think that it SHOULD.

In closing, I strongly support the re-integration of the SOLVED button, and the integration of a 'search by SOLVED only' checkbox on the search form if it didn't have it. Come on Mods, Admin... this is phpfreaks! every one of you and at least half the regulars here including myself has the skills to do that, and I'm by no means an expert. It's not a hard task at all.

I second that! The solved button was a great implementation that helped a lot of us out. I first started using it generally to give the forum helpers a break from sifting through already solved posts. After a while i started to use it just like Crayon Violent did, to learn, and search for help. It became a very valuable tool, and i think it would be in the community's best interest to re-implement it.

I found another [a href=\"http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=93303\" target=\"_blank\"]thread[/a], can I have my subforum now? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":wink:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

Seriously, where do we turn with this stuff?

[!--quoteo(post=373521:date=May 13 2006, 09:57 AM:name=moberemk)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(moberemk @ May 13 2006, 09:57 AM) [snapback]373521[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
You know, I'm pretty sure that your new subforum idea got shot down.
[/quote]

For real? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":unsure:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"unsure.gif\" /]

[img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":wink:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

Again, seriously, if phpfreaks isn't the place for this stuff, were can we (I) go? (Like in another forum..)

well to tell you the truth 448191, I don't think an application design question really belongs in the php forum. Application design rarely ever involves strictly PHP. Alot of exceptions are made in the posting in those forums, as far as SQL questions, because they pretty much go hand in hand, and even then those exceptions are made because a lot of times it involves not sending/retrieving the query/results correctly.

But application design is a rather broad ranging subject. To build an entire website from scratch can involve any number of things. You can end up using XML, javascript, PHP, SQL, even throw in some flash, and the list goes on. And you are talking about the concepts of making it all work together and how you want the overall flow of your website to be.

I don't think this is a matter of "omg you're posting in the wrong forum go to this other forum" because people are anal; it's just that a site like this doesn't bring in a whole lot of people who are.. well to be honest, qualified to answer that type of question. I'm sure there are a couple of people here, but as you said yourself, nobody responds to your threads. I'm certainly not qualified to answer it. I've seen your thread, and looking at your chart makes my eyes cross [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/laugh.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":laugh:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"laugh.gif\" /] not that i'm anybody special around here, but I do actively look at all the threads and I do try to answer any questions I know.

Go check out the devshed forums. I go there on occasion. They have sections dedicated to virtually every programming language in existence, as well as a specific application design forum. I would not recommend going there for specific questions about specific things like php (come back here!) because they don't really focus too heavily on the specifics, and more on the theory and design behind it all.

[!--quoteo(post=373824:date=May 14 2006, 03:07 PM:name=Crayon Violent)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Crayon Violent @ May 14 2006, 03:07 PM) [snapback]373824[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
well to tell you the truth 448191, I don't think an application design question really belongs in the php forum. Application design rarely ever involves strictly PHP. (....... ) But application design is a rather broad ranging subject. To build an entire website from scratch can involve any number of things. You can end up using XML, javascript, PHP, SQL, even throw in some flash, and the list goes on. [/quote]

True, but we do cover all these subject here at phpfreaks. And we do build applications with them. It's only logical to think before you act, thus design your application. I feel it's a good thing to do no matter how small your app. It's also a good way to visualize the limits and possibilities of your "app to be"...

Anyway, I guess not many people go into this stuff around here, so I should really look elsewhere... I'm just really comfortable with this forum, it's where I started, and although I've been away for months at a time, it still feels like home. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":smile:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=373824:date=May 14 2006, 03:07 PM:name=Crayon Violent)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Crayon Violent @ May 14 2006, 03:07 PM) [snapback]373824[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]I've seen your thread, and looking at your chart makes my eyes cross [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/laugh.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":laugh:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"laugh.gif\" /] not that i'm anybody special around here, but I do actively look at all the threads and I do try to answer any questions I know. [/quote]

It looks complicated, but it's really not. If I where to explain it better I'm sure you would understand!

[!--quoteo(post=373824:date=May 14 2006, 03:07 PM:name=Crayon Violent)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Crayon Violent @ May 14 2006, 03:07 PM) [snapback]373824[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]Go check out the devshed forums. [/quote]

I'll do that.

I'll have to rethink the design first, before I throw it out for review, because I've decided I want to incorporate Ajax into it. I read about it, and allthough I'd have to brush up my javascript, I think it's a chance not to be missed.

I've already been pondering about pure Ajax applications that don't request a single bit twice from the server... If you haven't done so yet: check out [a href=\"http://www.ajaxfreaks.com\" target=\"_blank\"]www.ajaxfreaks.com[/a], read the tuts (the're quite simple) and get imagining on the possibilities! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/laugh.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":laugh:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"laugh.gif\" /]

Thanks again.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.