debugging environments

• 11 months later...

As much as I have thought to look at all the big IDE's out there and become dissatisfied, I tend to use Notepad++ with the DGB plugin and Firefox with several add ons that round out my debugging process.

N++ with DGB handles all the PHP debugging needs with xdebug on my xampp setup. I added Xdebug helper to firefox, which makes the debugging process a lot simplier because you can switch it on and off from the browser ... especially helpful when you are trying to debug something like ELGG and need to get to a particular part of the program with all the variables in tack.

For Javascript there is firebug and firephp. this will give you the java scripting ajax functionality in debugging that you want. Also having the firefox add on web tool bar is very useful as well.

Some of this requires a little poking around in your set up to get it working correctly, but the reward is a set up that is light, efficient and powerful.

In addition, i have work around and still have at my disposal, Netbeans 6.5 and Aptana Studio. Both strive to provide this sort of functionality in an all in wonder package. Right now i would give the nudge to debugging PHP to Netbeans, Aptana it seems is still working out some of its bugs on making it an all around nice debugging enviroment... it is currently really difficult and spotty at best when trying to delve deep into the code for a particular place to debug... Aptana has a nod on the javascript/ ajax side of things because it is its true focus.

All these solutions will require some poking into stuff to get to work smoothly.

But I like my simple powerful set up that is just N++ and my browser. It does all that and a bag of chips.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.