Check out my video site

StreamMe

Overall, pretty good,

i would remove that video tab for the time being, if there's only video on your site, there's no need for it.

Once you expand, then add it back in.

I don't understand why the US constition is posted.... i'm mean, i love it and all, but its not revelant there...

the video description area is pretty boring....

Is it a video search engine or something??

I mean, its cool and all, just not really anything new that would make me want to tell my friends to go to it.

I put the constitution there as a public service, too many people love it but have no idea what it says.

How is the video description area boring?

Its not a video search engine, right now its a video sharing site, eventually to host live feeds as well as recorded.

The site looks way too busy in my point of view.

I have no idea what category I am in. I have no idea if there are even video categories?

There is no search. Essentially i am presented with  A BILLION video options, all of which seemingly have

no organization, no genre, no tags, no nothing.

I don't want to sound like im just complaining, but from a user standpoint, I would consider these serious issues.

I watched a video about some lady talking about religion - after that, I was lost, so I really didn't ever go back.

Additionally, youtube is a money losing business. It's only possible because google has money to lose.

So how do you propose to scale this?

Ya, youtube is actually losing money. They are actually LOSING $500,000 a month.  check it out here: http://www.bivingsreport.com/2006/youtube-show-me-the-money/

But your's is a little different. Youtube actually hosts the video and stores it, which requires HUGE HUGE HUGE amounts of bandwidth and severs. It costs a s*** load to maintain them. But you're site isn't actually hosting the video, which is saving you a good amount of bandwidth. But users are often show other videos on that hosting site, thats the problem.

The site looks way too busy in my point of view.

I have no idea what category I am in. I have no idea if there are even video categories?

There is no search. Essentially i am presented with  A BILLION video options, all of which seemingly have

no organization, no genre, no tags, no nothing.

I don't want to sound like im just complaining, but from a user standpoint, I would consider these serious issues.

I watched a video about some lady talking about religion - after that, I was lost, so I really didn't ever go back.

Additionally, youtube is a money losing business. It's only possible because google has money to lose.

So how do you propose to scale this?

You did not visit the site if you say it has no categories or search. Its in the typical spot at the top very easy to see. I dont see how you missed that, the tags or the organization. lol.  I don't mean to be snappy, but if people are not going to view a site, then do not try to critique it.

Im glad everyone thinks this is a money losing business :)

and BTW

I am losing thousands every month, you really should not try to run a video site, spread the word.

Ya, youtube is actually losing money. They are actually LOSING $500,000 a month.  check it out here: http://www.bivingsreport.com/2006/youtube-show-me-the-money/

But your's is a little different. Youtube actually hosts the video and stores it, which requires HUGE HUGE HUGE amounts of bandwidth and severs. It costs a s*** load to maintain them. But you're site isn't actually hosting the video, which is saving you a good amount of bandwidth. But users are often show other videos on that hosting site, thats the problem.

I am hosting and converting all of these videos server-side.

That's pretty funny - asking for user opinions, and then defending all your positions.

If you want to call me a liar, go ahead and think I'm lieing, but just don't ask people to view your site then.

I did browse your site, and REGARDLESS if you have categories, search, tags, etc, if i do not see them, or can not find them, then you tellling me they are there means nothing.  Are you going to tell every single one of your visitors how to use your site?

There is a simple rule you should learn: People are kind of dumb.

I hope no one takes offense to that because I do not mean to say all of you, are specifically dumb. And I certainly don't walk down the street calling people dumb. But really what it DOES do , is allow you to offer the best and simplest products. If you assume peopel are dumb, that they won't read stuff, that they won't find things, then you will eventually make your product the best it can be , be developing around that concept.

Which brings us full circle to your little post there. It is illogical to defend your opinions, against the opinions of a user; I am the user, you are not. I didn't sit there and code that thing for billions of years, I don't particular have any biased interest in your site (as all users won't )

You have a 3 second window to convince me that your site is valuable, and I didn't see it. There is no arguing with that... how can there be?

Remember, I'm dumb, I don't want to have to FIND the search bar orcategories. This isn't an easter egg hunt.  I don't want to have to THINK about how your site works. I don't want to read 80 pages of the constitution. But hey, that's just me (a typical nobody, online user)

Lastly, regarding the whole money making thing:

1. You are not google.

2. The first video on the HOME page of your site has a total of 12 views today (1 of which is mine)

Before this turns into a pissing contest, all I want to say is that I personally am all for you making money. It really doesn't affect me much, so why wouldn't I want to see you succeed. I don't know you at all, so really there is absolutely no benefit to seeing you "fail". 

Therefore based on that, you should realize that all of our comments are meant to be constructive. You don't have to defend yourself. You come off as if you are raking in billions of dollars and we are all just so ignorant of how to make money via video sites. All we are saying is that as a historical fact, the biggest, and best video site out there, is not turning a profit. That's it.

So my point about the whole 12 views on the home page is simply to highlight the fact that we are not discouraggns you from making your couple of hundred per month, or hey who knows, maybe a couple of thousand , all we are really doing is exactly what you asked of us - giving you OUR feedback.

im sorry but that is out dated info i dont know what it is now but... look at the url http://www.bivingsreport.com/2006/youtube-show-me-the-money/ look one moe time http://www.bivingsreport.com/>>>>>>2006<<<<<</youtube-show-me-the-money/

thats a few years ago Posted on September 19th, 2006

That information has already been highlighted.

But if we do a google search as to the current state :

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=is+youtube+profitable&btnG=Google+Search

We can see that actually they are saying now that IT IS  profitable!

So our mistake. I admit  I was wrong. But hey, if you guys were paying attention, please read as to HOW they are profitable.

To sum it up, google is able to make youtube profitable because they unleash their adsense network onto it.

But you have to realize THEY ARE THEY OWNERS OF THE ENTIRE ADSENSE NETWORK.

So they get money by serving them up, not by "participating in them"

Does that make sense? The most us non googlers can do, is participate in adsense.

Google OWNS it man!

They use their muscle to control such a beast and to  , unbelievably, make it profitable!

I must note, I only skimmed it, since I am ...at work... but that was the overall point I took from it, and also, that its still being debated as to whether or not the numbers do indeed work.

to explain was jade was saying...

Normally, with ad sense, Google will be a certain percentage, and the owner of the site will get a percentage.

but if google owns the site, ( and another reason why their search engine continues to bring in huge profits)than google get 100% of the money poeple paid for that ad....

That's pretty funny - asking for user opinions, and then defending all your positions.

If you want to call me a liar, go ahead and think I'm lieing, but just don't ask people to view your site then.

I did browse your site, and REGARDLESS if you have categories, search, tags, etc, if i do not see them, or can not find them, then you tellling me they are there means nothing.  Are you going to tell every single one of your visitors how to use your site?

There is a simple rule you should learn: People are kind of dumb.

I hope no one takes offense to that because I do not mean to say all of you, are specifically dumb. And I certainly don't walk down the street calling people dumb. But really what it DOES do , is allow you to offer the best and simplest products. If you assume peopel are dumb, that they won't read stuff, that they won't find things, then you will eventually make your product the best it can be , be developing around that concept.

Which brings us full circle to your little post there. It is illogical to defend your opinions, against the opinions of a user; I am the user, you are not. I didn't sit there and code that thing for billions of years, I don't particular have any biased interest in your site (as all users won't )

You have a 3 second window to convince me that your site is valuable, and I didn't see it. There is no arguing with that... how can there be?

Remember, I'm dumb, I don't want to have to FIND the search bar orcategories. This isn't an easter egg hunt.  I don't want to have to THINK about how your site works. I don't want to read 80 pages of the constitution. But hey, that's just me (a typical nobody, online user)

Lastly, regarding the whole money making thing:

1. You are not google.

2. The first video on the HOME page of your site has a total of 12 views today (1 of which is mine)

Before this turns into a pissing contest, all I want to say is that I personally am all for you making money. It really doesn't affect me much, so why wouldn't I want to see you succeed. I don't know you at all, so really there is absolutely no benefit to seeing you "fail". 

Therefore based on that, you should realize that all of our comments are meant to be constructive. You don't have to defend yourself. You come off as if you are raking in billions of dollars and we are all just so ignorant of how to make money via video sites. All we are saying is that as a historical fact, the biggest, and best video site out there, is not turning a profit. That's it.

So my point about the whole 12 views on the home page is simply to highlight the fact that we are not discouraggns you from making your couple of hundred per month, or hey who knows, maybe a couple of thousand , all we are really doing is exactly what you asked of us - giving you OUR feedback.

I just found it difficult to understand how you did not see the search bar, categories or tags. My bad. I wasnt really trying to "defend my opinion", I just figured anyone that could not even notice search bar, categories or tags, to the point of declaring that they are not existent on the site must not have gone to the site at all .. but overall but I think you're right about making sites for stupid people, ill one-up you and try to design it for stupid BLIND people ! lol. But you're right I spent 23982938 hours coding this so I know where everything is within 1 second. Ill consider making visual changes to the header. Thanks for your feedback, and I did not mean to push your button.

I don't need anyones feedback on monetization, but thank you for the website critiques. If you want to believe that veoh, metacafe, youtube, dailymotion, and every other video sharing site operate at a huge loss every month until the end of time, be my guest - and spread the word. If making a video site is just a money pit and nothing more, then don't make one.  (no this is not meant to imply I am raking in billions every month)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.