Webdesigning and Hosting company looking for critique...

Demio

I've been developing web apps and websites for 6 years now and I've gone commercial for some months but I'm launching my buiness' website now. It all validates as XHTML 1.1 and CSS 2.0 (except for the Modernbill order page....). I also used mod-rewrite to make the pages extensionless :D

What do you guys think off the website? Please, only constructiive criticism and be thorough :)

The URL is: [a href=\"http://www.swissdomainregistration.com\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.swissdomainregistration.com[/a]

Thanks in advance,
Carlos

Edit: Ooops, forgot to paste the website URL....
Edit2: Feel free to comment on my Hourly rates, hosting prices and hosting features I'm interested in suggestions.

A few things:

1) It's very blue. When I think Swiss, and especially Swiss Army I think red. All the swiss army stuff is red. While the blue is ok, I think it probably wouldn't hurt to get a contrasting color in there. Variations of the same color can get a little tiresome.

2) the images on the front page are a little large and cheesy, IMO. Same with the x's and checkmarks in the hosting page. It just looks a little cheap. You could make the ones on the front page more transparent and put them in the background instead of using up so much space for them. I'd also reduce the size of them. You're wasting a lot of space there.

3) No contact page. For a hosting company, I'd expect to see a contact page instead of a few "mailto" links at the bottom of the front page. And while we're on the subject, the suggestion box link doesn't work.

4) Your index page is nothing but an extravagent nav section. You could probably tone it down a little and describe the business a little more and let the users find the nav above.

5) I would personally feel better with a little more padding around the content box.

It's not bad, but it's not great either. A little tweak here and there would do wonders.

[!--quoteo(post=374257:date=May 16 2006, 01:00 PM:name=ober)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ober @ May 16 2006, 01:00 PM) [snapback]374257[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
A few things:

1) It's very blue. When I think Swiss, and especially Swiss Army I think red. All the swiss army stuff is red. While the blue is ok, I think it probably wouldn't hurt to get a contrasting color in there. Variations of the same color can get a little tiresome.

2) the images on the front page are a little large and cheesy, IMO. Same with the x's and checkmarks in the hosting page. It just looks a little cheap. You could make the ones on the front page more transparent and put them in the background instead of using up so much space for them. I'd also reduce the size of them. You're wasting a lot of space there.

3) No contact page. For a hosting company, I'd expect to see a contact page instead of a few "mailto" links at the bottom of the front page. And while we're on the subject, the suggestion box link doesn't work.

4) Your index page is nothing but an extravagent nav section. You could probably tone it down a little and describe the business a little more and let the users find the nav above.

5) I would personally feel better with a little more padding around the content box.

It's not bad, but it's not great either. A little tweak here and there would do wonders.
[/quote]

1) Yea, I get that sometimes. I guess it's a personal taste. Some people like it, some don't. Can't please everyone :P

2) Good idea with the background and the transparency. I'll do that :) But what about the X's and Checkmarks? What should I change in them?

3) I was going to add that today. The website was just launched :P I still have to add the sitemap and the contact information but I needed to get the website out ASAP because every day without a new customer I lose a bit of money. And I fixed the suggestion box link, thats what I get for finishing a website at 3am [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":unsure:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"unsure.gif\" /]

4) That's what the "About" page is for :P

5) I'll experiment with that.

I don't really like, certainly doesn't look like you've been doing this 6 years. Like Ober said, I think it is too blue, and I agree the images look terrible. For one they are scattered all over the place and they are too big. I see you just applied some photoshop filters that don't look good at all. I can see the first image is a hard drive, but some might have no idea what that is supposed to be. I have no idea what the second image is.

Aside from that, I think the menu should stretch the full width of your container. The header images look pretty bad. You tried to blend in something different on the right for each page and it doesn't look good.

Nothing really looks clean or professional. I wouldn't feel confident in your hosting or web services.

I'm gonna tell ya know that it is true you can't please everyone. HOWEVER, in this instance you might want to change from so much blue. Here is why:

1) Some people don't like it.
2) Fewer people like it.
3) Only males can be color blind (me), and a majority of colorblindness relates to blue in some way. When you can see blue like it should be, it really hurts your eyes. Without contrasting colors, I can barely read the page without getting a head ache. Stats show that out of 100 people that use computers, 64 of those will be color blind in some form whether they know it or not.

So that is 64 out of a hundred that wont like the blue, then you can add another 20 or so that dosn't like it period, giving you 84 people that don't like blue and 16 people that do....surely you want to please the majority?

[!--quoteo(post=374262:date=May 16 2006, 01:26 PM:name=jcombs_31)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(jcombs_31 @ May 16 2006, 01:26 PM) [snapback]374262[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Nothing really looks clean or professional.
[/quote]
I'd like to know where you pulled that one from, but I have a wild hunch.

And to steelmanronald06, I didn't really know that. I think I made it better now tho :) Thanks for the info.

Ober, what do you think about it now?

What you've done with the front page helps a lot. You need to move the "learn more" buttons (and possibly make them look better) and I'd put a thin box around each one of those elements just to seperate them nicely.

I'd say your hosting costs are pretty spot-on, but you're selling yourself pretty cheap as far as labor, IMO. (although going by your design level, it might be pretty accurate)

[!--quoteo(post=374308:date=May 16 2006, 03:49 PM:name=ober)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ober @ May 16 2006, 03:49 PM) [snapback]374308[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
What you've done with the front page helps a lot. You need to move the "learn more" buttons (and possibly make them look better) and I'd put a thin box around each one of those elements just to seperate them nicely.

I'd say your hosting costs are pretty spot-on, but you're selling yourself pretty cheap as far as labor, IMO. (although going by your design level, it might be pretty accurate)
[/quote]

Where should I move the "learn more" buttons to? And I know they look kinda bad, I just needed to get this website out in a hurry because I'm already paying for the dedicated server and whatnot. I need to grab some hosting clients :)

I'll work on the new buttons tonight and I'll also add the borders around the elements around that time. I gotta go away from my computer for a while.

Thanks for the constructive criticism :)

And I know I'm not a great designer, that's why I'm going to start hiring good designers to make the templates for my clients. I think I'm a nice PHP programmer tho. Starting to do stuff with AJAX [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":smile:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=374302:date=May 16 2006, 11:23 AM:name=Demio)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Demio @ May 16 2006, 11:23 AM) [snapback]374302[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I'd like to know where you pulled that one from, but I have a wild hunch.
And to steelmanronald06, I didn't really know that. I think I made it better now tho :) Thanks for the info.

Ober, what do you think about it now?
[/quote]

I'll give you an idea, I pulled it from my brain. I looked at your site and gave my opinion of it.

I don't think the changes helped, they actually made it worse. Now I can't read your text over those wonderful images. The learn more buttons are huge.

I could lie and say it looks great, but what would be the point.

[!--quoteo(post=374311:date=May 16 2006, 03:56 PM:name=jcombs_31)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(jcombs_31 @ May 16 2006, 03:56 PM) [snapback]374311[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I'll give you an idea, I pulled it from my brain. I looked at your site and gave my opinion of it.

I don't think the changes helped, they actually made it worse. Now I can't read your text over those wonderful images. The learn more buttons are huge.

I could lie and say it looks great, but what would be the point.
[/quote]

Well, for a start you could've read the post where I said I'd fix the Learn Now buttons.

And I agree that there might be some problems reading the text, I need to make the background images more transparent.

But you were complaining about all that blue, and I removed a lot of it so it's softer for the eyes. So how is that worse?

And I don't want you to lie about the site, saying it looks great. I just don't like your arrogant and "the world owes me something" atitude. If you don't have a polite way of saying something, then don't. Manners and class above all. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":wink:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=374323:date=May 16 2006, 12:10 PM:name=Demio)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Demio @ May 16 2006, 12:10 PM) [snapback]374323[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Well, for a start you could've read the post where I said I'd fix the Learn Now buttons.

And I agree that there might be some problems reading the text, I need to make the background images more transparent.

But you were complaining about all that blue, and I removed a lot of it so it's softer for the eyes. So how is that worse?

And I don't want you to lie about the site, saying it looks great. I just don't like your arrogant and "the world owes me something" atitude. If you don't have a polite way of saying something, then don't. Manners and class above all. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":wink:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]
[/quote]

I don't see how stating my opinion about your site makes me arrogant, I didn't say anything about anything I've done.

Back on topic, it won't matter if you make the images more transparent, they shouldn't be behind the text, and I still think the filters look like crap. I also didn't notice any difference in the blue tone. My opinion stands as is.

Yes - your main selling & attracting website needs a little work.

1. (this is my rule and ramblings) Large Heading text should be anti-aliased as an image. You have Very large and Text standing out at me in blue. There are other ways to attract the eye rather than large text. I would put the text in a nice image and perhaps an underline or subtle background using css - to show nicely that it is a heading.

2. Them learn more Buttons - Why is the fillet/ round so "oblong" or out of shape. A nice ordinary rounded corner on the "Learn More" would be WAY nicer (IMO of course). The SIZE of these buttons are wrong also. You have NICE nav buttons - but then you come along with these HUGE "Learn More" buttons which are coloured differrent to other buttons or text on your site.
There is also too much of a gap between the Content and these Buttons.

3. Your Background IMAGES are too dark. Background images (such as the objects you are using) should only provide a "hint" or with a little focusing of the eye - be descriptive. Currently the bg.s are too dark (IMO of course)

4. Whats the Control Panel Login for???? It should be hidden and the URL emailed to clients upon sign in.

I do like the photo on the HOSTING page. It looks WAY more professional that some button or background you have tried to make. I would also perhaps put a white fade around the sides of this image.

Anyways Im going to leave it at that.

</rant>

-steve

[!--quoteo(post=374347:date=May 16 2006, 05:18 PM:name=steviewdr)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(steviewdr @ May 16 2006, 05:18 PM) [snapback]374347[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Yes - your main selling & attracting website needs a little work.

1. (this is my rule and ramblings) Large Heading text should be anti-aliased as an image. You have Very large and Text standing out at me in blue. There are other ways to attract the eye rather than large text. I would put the text in a nice image and perhaps an underline or subtle background using css - to show nicely that it is a heading.

2. Them learn more Buttons - Why is the fillet/ round so "oblong" or out of shape. A nice ordinary rounded corner on the "Learn More" would be WAY nicer (IMO of course). The SIZE of these buttons are wrong also. You have NICE nav buttons - but then you come along with these HUGE "Learn More" buttons which are coloured differrent to other buttons or text on your site.
There is also too much of a gap between the Content and these Buttons.

3. Your Background IMAGES are too dark. Background images (such as the objects you are using) should only provide a "hint" or with a little focusing of the eye - be descriptive. Currently the bg.s are too dark (IMO of course)

4. Whats the Control Panel Login for???? It should be hidden and the URL emailed to clients upon sign in.

I do like the photo on the HOSTING page. It looks WAY more professional that some button or background you have tried to make. I would also perhaps put a white fade around the sides of this image.

Anyways Im going to leave it at that.

</rant>

-steve
[/quote]

1- I was plannning to do that, I just wanted to make sure I had the final version of the titles before :D

2- It will be fixed soon.

3- I'll make the more white.

4- I thought it could come in handy for some client who lost their email, but I guess I could use the space that button occupies to put a more visible link to the Contacts page.

Thanks for the constructive criticism :)

Much better. Suggestion. In your CSS template add some font weight to the normaly text. that way it should bold up just a bit more than what it is now. Don't go all out <b></b> tags, because you don't want it fully bolded. Just bold it up a little bit so it will stand out from those images.

[!--quoteo(post=374256:date=May 16 2006, 01:50 PM:name=Demio)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Demio @ May 16 2006, 01:50 PM) [snapback]374256[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
It all validates as XHTML 1.1 and CSS 2.0 (except for the Modernbill order page....).
[/quote]

why? no point in stopping half way. make it all validate, otherwise the claims count for toffee. also gives the impression (considering you're proud enough to point it out with your use of XHTML/CSS logos in your footer) that you've thrown the rest of the site together. especially as the first page that dont validate is the page that is the actual order page. my opinion on the XHMTML/CSS logos to show off validation is - sitewide, either use them or dont. if one single page dont validate, dont use them logos anywhere.

1, blue. the shades of blue you have are ok (ie, not to glary) but they're used in the wrong ways. i can't even put my finger on why, otherwise i'd tell you. try this tho. see your tables on your pricing page? just for the sake of trying, make the table/cell borders white instead of blue (leaving the cell background colours the same for now), or at least try and add some sort of 3d 'raised' border.

2, pill buttons, or anything that slightly resemble pill buttons, have one place - and that's in the same category as comic sans and animated gif's. obviously IMHO of course, but i dont like your learn more buttons at all. even a simple: Learn More >>> link would be better than the buttons you have.

3, the pictures (photos) you have do a big favour to the pages that have them. only problem is their size. for the WxH they are, the filesize is a little bit excessive.

4, just try - for the sake of trying - drop your font size down a touch. whilst i hate tiny fonts, i hate big fonts too as both look cheap. 10/11px is good for most content (excluding headings, etc)

5, your ticks/crosses on your hosting page could do with being a bit sharper. they seem half blurry and half jagged. a 3D image in amongst a jungle of non-3d stuff can appear visually unnatural.

6, contact pages with a simple form, etc is a 5 minute job to implement and a 5 minute job to make sure it validates the entry and works. in the 10 minutes i've been typing, and the several hours of replying to criticism, it's still a bunch of mailto's.

if you're a good coder and a weak designer (like me) then stick to what you know. going all glitzy with gradients and pill buttons etc looks bad unless you really know what you're doing. none of my sites i've posted here have come off favourably every time, but the fact that i've not crossed the line into 'design' (because i dont do a good job with it) has held me steady and allowed me to put out sites that are quite presentable.

good luck, and hope that helps!

Cheers
Mark

[!--quoteo(post=374404:date=May 16 2006, 08:47 PM:name=redbullmarky)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(redbullmarky @ May 16 2006, 08:47 PM) [snapback]374404[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
why? no point in stopping half way. make it all validate, otherwise the claims count for toffee. also gives the impression (considering you're proud enough to point it out with your use of XHTML/CSS logos in your footer) that you've thrown the rest of the site together. especially as the first page that dont validate is the page that is the actual order page. my opinion on the XHMTML/CSS logos to show off validation is - sitewide, either use them or dont. if one single page dont validate, dont use them logos anywhere.

1, blue. the shades of blue you have are ok (ie, not to glary) but they're used in the wrong ways. i can't even put my finger on why, otherwise i'd tell you. try this tho. see your tables on your pricing page? just for the sake of trying, make the table/cell borders white instead of blue (leaving the cell background colours the same for now), or at least try and add some sort of 3d 'raised' border.

2, pill buttons, or anything that slightly resemble pill buttons, have one place - and that's in the same category as comic sans and animated gif's. obviously IMHO of course, but i dont like your learn more buttons at all. even a simple: Learn More >>> link would be better than the buttons you have.

3, the pictures (photos) you have do a big favour to the pages that have them. only problem is their size. for the WxH they are, the filesize is a little bit excessive.

4, just try - for the sake of trying - drop your font size down a touch. whilst i hate tiny fonts, i hate big fonts too as both look cheap. 10/11px is good for most content (excluding headings, etc)

5, your ticks/crosses on your hosting page could do with being a bit sharper. they seem half blurry and half jagged. a 3D image in amongst a jungle of non-3d stuff can appear visually unnatural.

6, contact pages with a simple form, etc is a 5 minute job to implement and a 5 minute job to make sure it validates the entry and works. in the 10 minutes i've been typing, and the several hours of replying to criticism, it's still a bunch of mailto's.

if you're a good coder and a weak designer (like me) then stick to what you know. going all glitzy with gradients and pill buttons etc looks bad unless you really know what you're doing. none of my sites i've posted here have come off favourably every time, but the fact that i've not crossed the line into 'design' (because i dont do a good job with it) has held me steady and allowed me to put out sites that are quite presentable.

good luck, and hope that helps!

Cheers
Mark
[/quote]

As I SAID, I'm going to change the learn more buttons, leave them alone :P

And about the XHTML validation. I didn't do the Modernbill orderform and I don't like poking around scripts I'm not familiar with so I decided to leave Modernbill intact (as it controls many aspects of the order form. I can only change the "headers" and "footers" of the template. Not the actual order form. For that I'd have to change more coding than I'm willing to. Specially just to validate in W3C.

I made my website according to the standards, but the Modernbill programmers didn't build their software according to the standards. I'm not going to fix it for them. My part in complying to the rules is done. All that I did for the website validates. The order form, a part of Modernbill doesn't. Tough luck.

And I removed the syntax validation logo from the order page (most of the css is mine, so it's valid, the part the modernbill devs made throws warnings tho).

[!--quoteo(post=374408:date=May 16 2006, 08:56 PM:name=Demio)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Demio @ May 16 2006, 08:56 PM) [snapback]374408[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I made my website according to the standards, but the Modernbill programmers didn't build their software according to the standards. I'm not going to fix it for them. My part in complying to the rules is done. All that I did for the website validates. The order form, a part of Modernbill doesn't. Tough luck.
[/quote]

that's fair enough, and maybe i'm being a bit harsh here by sticking to my guns.
but lets pretend i'm a humble client here who wants a website, who's been told that a valid site is a sign of professionalism:
anything you incorporate into your site, 3rd party or not, reflects back on you.

so don't see it as you're doing the fixing for them - consider the fact that, as long as modernbill is part of your site, it looks like yours - so it's your duty to make sure it fits the rest so it fits in with what you're trying to achieve.

and the fact that you've managed to integrate the order part with your nav/logo, etc, etc, means that you have SOME control over the pages - so a little bit of effort on your part (instead of 'tough luck') would really count for alot.

Cheers
Mark

I have some control on what appears before (the header) and on what appears after (the footer) the order form. All I can do is fix the bread in the sandwich (template+form+template). The bread is fine, it's the filling that needs fixing. And I'm not familiar on where or what I should edit in modernbill for that.

Edit: Ok, I made a lot of changes. Please tell me what you think now (not changes to the order form [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/laugh.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":laugh:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"laugh.gif\" /] )

[!--quoteo(post=374440:date=May 16 2006, 10:50 PM:name=Demio)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Demio @ May 16 2006, 10:50 PM) [snapback]374440[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Edit: Ok, I made a lot of changes. Please tell me what you think now (not changes to the order form [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/laugh.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":laugh:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"laugh.gif\" /] )
[/quote]

righty then...i personally thing that just a drop in size of the font has made things look TONNES better. what do you thing though personally? what do YOU think now you've used a white border on the table? i personally reckon it looks a hell of a lot better. subtle changes...

drop the size of the header text (including the text you replaced the pill buttons with) by 1 or 2 px just to even the balance, and you should be ok. apart from that, the balance of blue would be your only main thing to deal with. you've dropped the blueness of the backdrop images which makes the text easier to read.
try a bit more with your top logo, as that's the thing which shouts 'blue blue i'm blue, dont you know' more than anything else. i reckon once you've sorted that out, you're almost done. maybe invert the colours and put blue on light? would make your nav buttons stand out too.

IMO though, good stuff and good improvements!

Cheers
Mark

[b]edit[/b]: one more thing - try seperating the 4 sections on your homepage with a styled <hr /> or some other similar horizontal rule. will just help seperate things a little more. i would personally pull the picture from the 'About Us' page onto the homepage (or get a similar 'professional' image), too, just to add a bit more 'life' to it.

[b]edit2[/b]: right align the 'order now' link. dont know why, it just doesnt seem to fit right in the middle of the page.
[b]edit3[/b]: attach a 'target="_blank"' to your XHTML/CSS buttons (and any other external links you may have). you dont wanna lose traffic and/or customers just cos someone gets navigated away from your page.

[!--quoteo(post=374472:date=May 17 2006, 12:08 AM:name=Demio)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Demio @ May 17 2006, 12:08 AM) [snapback]374472[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I did all that except the changes to the logo as I don't understand what you mean.

What do you think I should do with the logo? Your previous messages was somewhat confusing in that part.
[/quote]

well at the moment, it's very strongly blue. if you made the background of it lighter (ie, more white) but using blue overlay/text, and the same photo, it wouldnt look so blue. like i say, i cant put my finger on it - it just doesnt seem to look right. as it's so blue, and your nav is blue too, the whole thing seems to bleed into eachother. having the colours the other way round (blue on white) would let the nav stand more clearly.

[!--quoteo(post=374479:date=May 17 2006, 12:21 AM:name=Demio)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Demio @ May 17 2006, 12:21 AM) [snapback]374479[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I think I'll leave the logo as it is for now.
[/quote]

your choice.
otherwise, you've done a good job. with a few minor tweaks here and there, i think you'll have achieved what you set out to.

one more thing. if you can make the seperators you added on the homepage a bit lighter (maybe lighter grey instead of blue) then i reckon that'll sort things out a bit better. putting an image like on your 'about us' page would also jazz things up alot.

cheers
Mark

A big improvement.

However - your index page doesnt look great. That blue + dividing up the areas looks cat IMO.

I also think you should NUMBER your packages.
I.E. Need a Domain = 3
Premium Hosting = 1
etc. etc.
I think it would help to differentiate your packages and offers etc. - again just looking a little more professional and official.

On that + dividing area - it seems that the padding is messed up or something.

Your other pages are fine - its just your index page is a poor show/ attraction.

Also - the colour of your headings is the same as your a href's - Id like it different.

Your order page - "Swiss Domain Registration Order Wizard" (http://www.swissdomainregistration.com/modernbill/order/checkout.php) looking for all the information - its a tad messy and unorganised IMO.
Your error detection form (if fields are empty) is poor - no red and a ton of text.

I also note your For Fraud Prevention purposes: you dont get my real IP - only my proxy server which is little good IMO.

Please note also - We dont have Zip Codes in Ireland. You have them compulsory!!

You dont use SSL? It would be nice to see and cost nothing IMO.
Actually - do you offer SSL in your packages? - I cant see it jumping out.

I only see PayPal - can I not pay with credit card? If not - I would NOT go with ye. I know paypal is easy and ok - but its hassle.

Anyhoo -- keep working.
-steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.