Webdesigning and Hosting company looking for critique...

Demio

The changes have helped tremendously, but I have the same complaints as a few others.

The seperator on the index needs to be a shade lighter and if it's not going to touch the sides, it shouldn't touch the top and bottom. You also need more padding, mainly on the right side.

The black is a pretty good change, but it'd look better as a gradient instead of a solid color.

[!--quoteo(post=374617:date=May 17 2006, 12:15 PM:name=steviewdr)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(steviewdr @ May 17 2006, 12:15 PM) [snapback]374617[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
A big improvement.

However - your index page doesnt look great. That blue + dividing up the areas looks cat IMO.

I also think you should NUMBER your packages.
I.E. Need a Domain = 3
Premium Hosting = 1
etc. etc.
I think it would help to differentiate your packages and offers etc. - again just looking a little more professional and official.

On that + dividing area - it seems that the padding is messed up or something.

Your other pages are fine - its just your index page is a poor show/ attraction.

Also - the colour of your headings is the same as your a href's - Id like it different.

Your order page - "Swiss Domain Registration Order Wizard" (http://www.swissdomainregistration.com/modernbill/order/checkout.php) looking for all the information - its a tad messy and unorganised IMO.
Your error detection form (if fields are empty) is poor - no red and a ton of text.

I also note your For Fraud Prevention purposes: you dont get my real IP - only my proxy server which is little good IMO.

Please note also - We dont have Zip Codes in Ireland. You have them compulsory!!

You dont use SSL? It would be nice to see and cost nothing IMO.
Actually - do you offer SSL in your packages? - I cant see it jumping out.

I only see PayPal - can I not pay with credit card? If not - I would NOT go with ye. I know paypal is easy and ok - but its hassle.

Anyhoo -- keep working.
-steve
[/quote]

As I said before, I don't control the checkout order. I'm using Mordernbill and it's somewhat rigid in relation to edits. Or at least for me, I'm not very familiar with it's code. I'd have to study it.

And the paypal thingy. You can pay by credit card through paypal. And I don't use anything else because paypal is useable by everyone wtih a credit card and they handle fraud problems and other stuff for me.

When I rented modernbill, I thought it was the best software around for billing. It's quite good but it's not perfect.

And I don't use SSL nor offer SSL as of yet. I didn't install the SSL stuff in my dedicated server yet. I got it working so far with no problems, and if it ain't broke don't fix it :P

Maybe in a near future. But then I'd have to use a shared certificate for all the sites.

I'll fix the index page tho.

The background gradient doesn't fit at all. Funny thing I just read on your main page, 99% uptime. If it isn't 100%, I certainly wouldn't state that right on your main page. I also don't like the box presentation on the main page, it doesn't seem to flow very well.

I actually think the gradiant isn't bad. It's better than plain black, you have to give him that.

And Jeff, I'm not sure who you're hosted through (I think you host yourself, so whatever), but I don't know of a single host that claims 100% uptime. That's NEVER going to be true. If I ever saw a host that claimed 100% uptime, I wouldn't go with them because they're bunch of goddamn liars.

[!--quoteo(post=374723:date=May 17 2006, 01:05 PM:name=ober)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ober @ May 17 2006, 01:05 PM) [snapback]374723[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I actually think the gradiant isn't bad. It's better than plain black, you have to give him that.

And Jeff, I'm not sure who you're hosted through (I think you host yourself, so whatever), but I don't know of a single host that claims 100% uptime. That's NEVER going to be true. If I ever saw a host that claimed 100% uptime, I wouldn't go with them because they're bunch of goddamn liars.
[/quote]

I didn't see it with all black, but I still don't like the gradient, it just doesn't match in my opinion.

As far as uptime, you are probably correct, but that doesn't mean I want to hear about my site might not be available for any period of time in the first couple lines of reading.

[!--quoteo(post=374723:date=May 17 2006, 06:05 PM:name=ober)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ober @ May 17 2006, 06:05 PM) [snapback]374723[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]

[/quote]

Exactly. 100% uptime? Impossible. But 99% means I can have the servers down 4 days a year. Which gives me time to make backups, update software, fix network / hardware problems. I dont plan to use those 4 days per year but 99% is as close as any uptime will get to 100%

And ober, what should I do with the gradient, what should I change in it? And the front page? Should I just start making one again from scratch?

[!--quoteo(post=374729:date=May 17 2006, 01:47 PM:name=Demio)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Demio @ May 17 2006, 01:47 PM) [snapback]374729[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Exactly. 100% uptime? Impossible. But 99% means I can have the servers down 4 days a year. Which gives me time to make backups, update software, fix network / hardware problems. I dont plan to use those 4 days per year but 99% is as close as any uptime will get to 100%

And ober, what should I do with the gradient, what should I change in it? And the front page? Should I just start making one again from scratch?
[/quote]

I agree, 100% is probably not realistic, but my point stands that I should not see that first thing on your site.

For the background, you may want to consider a subtle pattern that is not overbearing. I think that black has way too much contrast for your site.

[!--quoteo(post=374734:date=May 17 2006, 01:59 PM:name=Demio)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Demio @ May 17 2006, 01:59 PM) [snapback]374734[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
What color should I use then?

And I fixed the wording to "99% Uptime Guaranteed". That's what should've been there in the first place.
[/quote]

Well, that does sound better, but I think those statistics are better placed on another page. Anyway, I'm not sure what color, because I don't like the shade of blue much to begin with. Maybe some shade of grey.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.