wamp or lamp

lostone

what do you use  

33 members have voted

1. 1. what do you use

• WAMP
    • LAMP/UAMP
    • other

Why is it better to develop on Mac?  Because of the similarities between it and linux?  Why not just develop on linux then?

mac osx is not like linux in that the software updates are consistent and software is guarenteed, on linux most thing need to be moulded to suit the version. development on a mac is easier because its a better interface for work, it dose all those things like cascade on hot cotners and it never hardly ever crashes for me, its just so easy to work with everythign is transparent unlike windows. i love windows vista and xp but not for work only for playtime.

Add MAMP to the list for the Mac users.  Mac's are better to develop on because of the tools available...IMHO.  They are packaging more and more *AMP, Rails, and overall open source ability out of the box.  I was a hardcore Linux user for the last couple of years and then got a MBP with leopard.  I swear by Mac now.  Xcode's Organizer is pretty cool, even for the minimal functionality of using it display project file trees and edit files.  Mac's are nice and tidy and reliable. 

"mac osx is not like linux in that the software updates are consistent and software is guarenteed, on linux most thing need to be moulded to suit the version."

What about apt-get?  Yum?  So on?  I personally don't automate updates, so I can't talk on that, but I've never had problems (that weren't easy-ish-ly solvable) with installing anything on linux.

To suit the version of what?  Of linux?

"development on a mac is easier because its a better interface for work, it dose all those things like cascade on hot cotners and it never hardly ever crashes for me, its just so easy to work with everythign is transparent unlike windows. i love windows vista and xp but not for work only for playtime."

The way Windows wants (in my opinion) to look like Mac, I doubt it will be long before the GUIs are even more similar.

Anyway, all of that is just personal preference.  Then again, I guess this entire thread is.

Oh wait, the hardly ever crashes part isn't preference.  I've had Vista crash on me maybe...  twice?  And that was because of a faulty graphics card.  Or do you not mean the actual OS?  You mean software under the OS?  In that case, I have things crash every now and then, but I've never had Apache or my FTP serv or email serv crash.

"mac osx is not like linux in that the software updates are consistent and software is guarenteed, on linux most thing need to be moulded to suit the version."

What about apt-get?  Yum?  So on?  I personally don't automate updates, so I can't talk on that, but I've never had problems (that weren't easy-ish-ly solvable) with installing anything on linux.

then, but I've never had Apache or my FTP serv or email serv crash.

In the mac u are using LINUX but u never ever see the command line unless u feel like it, all functions configuration is gui its soo good infact that u just know when u used it for a while that its amazing, ping all taht stuff u do in linux for ur frewalls and onll linux configs its there just gui never cmd, its a linux for epopel who know what tehy need to configure but dont whant to memorise cmd's

In the mac u are using LINUX but u never ever see the command line unless u feel like it, all functions configuration is gui its soo good infact that u just know when u used it for a while that its amazing, ping all taht stuff u do in linux for ur frewalls and onll linux configs its there just gui never cmd, its a linux for epopel who know what tehy need to configure but dont whant to memorise cmd's

While this is mostly accurate from a practical standpoint, it is far from accurate from a technical point of view. (I am only commenting on the "mac is linux" statement - I have difficulty reading sentence structures that look as though they've been assembled by a canary.)

Mac OS X uses a Darwin subsystem for core operating system operations. While BSD (Darwin is a flavor of BSD) and linux have many similarities, they also have many differences, both in the technical and practical arenas. For example, BSD watch and GNU watch are very different programs for very different purposes, and binaries built for one system will fail horribly when executed on the other system.

then, but I've never had Apache or my FTP serv or email serv crash.

neylitalo already covered it, but no, Mac != linux.

To suit the version of what?  Of linux?

"development on a mac is easier because its a better interface for work, it dose all those things like cascade on hot cotners and it never hardly ever crashes for me, its just so easy to work with everythign is transparent unlike windows. i love windows vista and xp but not for work only for playtime."

The way Windows wants (in my opinion) to look like Mac, I doubt it will be long before the GUIs are even more similar.

Anyway, all of that is just personal preference.  Then again, I guess this entire thread is.

Oh wait, the hardly ever crashes part isn't preference.  I've had Vista crash on me maybe...  twice?  And that was because of a faulty graphics card.  Or do you not mean the actual OS?  You mean software under the OS?  In that case, I have things crash every now and then, but I've never had Apache or my FTP serv or email serv crash.

apache will never crash on linux, i have had cases of it crashing on the mac, trhe windows os crashes all teh time

I don't have MySQL because I haven't learned it yet (I know its not hard, I just really honestly haven't had time to take on anything new) so does WAP count? :P

I had MAMP on my MacBook until I broke the screen and got rid of it :(

I don't mean this in a mean way, but maybe it was misconfigured on Windows?

I've been running Apache under Windows for probably somewhere near 3 years now, and it's never crashed (not counting the times I did something stupid and it crashed like 30 seconds later).

I don't mean this in a mean way, but maybe it was misconfigured on Windows?

I've been running Apache under Windows for probably somewhere near 3 years now, and it's never crashed (not counting the times I did something stupid and it crashed like 30 seconds later).

basicaly what im saying is not so much crashes of the running system but crashes of configuration due to teh complex nature of knowing where every directory is best placed and what kind of structure ect is required updates etc, yes u can get XAMP SUITS  for windows but the similarities of developing for a linux machine are closer m,atched with mac osx. The crashes i talk about are in the process of configuration but maybe its just me maybe im a PRO now and back then i wasent. All in all ifind developmen ton a mac easier because of the fast and helpfull interface and linux type os if required u can pretend it teh server live linux one and stuff. i dont kknck windows but I HAVE had CASES I CANRT RECALL WHEN windows tried to block cirtain things i mean now i know u have to turn UAC off to get the full effect of VISTA.

When it comes to something like Apache/PHP, porting from Windows to Linux is just as easy as Mac to Linux if the PHP coder keeps the differences in mind.

i will beg to differ as i spent 3 years porting from windows to redhat and slackware. i had to keep track of versions as linux slackware wouldent configure properly with latest PHP but red hat would. It was basicaly too hard to confuigure. I learned to do it in the end but its all about what ur looking for MAC OSX is cheap as chips. it realy depends how close u woudl liek to be to teh os. a linux os u have to be very close with yes you can use the yum or wotever to update but most things u have to do urslef.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.