How to get a sign up form to create an account in 2 places?

its99pm

I want to set up a sign up form so that when you register, you get 2 accounts - one for a phpbb and one for a members area of the website. Same username and password. How would I go about doing this?

I know of at least one website who has this, where if you sign up you get two accounts, one for a phpbb and the other for the auctions on the same domain.

If you're using the default PHPBB registration process, you'll have to modify their code. Either that, or you could just as easily use the PHPBB users table as the same users table for the main page.

^ The users table for the main page holds a significant amount of other information. It's for a street team with adjoining forum, so the account holds point information, completed missions information, website links, etc. I don't think it would be possible to do it that way for this type of site?

i once helped this guy create a register script for his site that automatically registered the user on his phpbb forum as well. phpbb only really needs 4 values to be inserted into their table in order to officially register a user: username, email, password and register date. now, there is probably a more "efficient" way of doing this, but here's what I did:

i made a site table with the site specific columns, and then a user_id. i got the user's info from the registration form. Then I inserted their username, password email address and registration time into phpbb's user table:

[code]
$phpbb = mysql_query("INSERT INTO `phpbb_users` (`username`, `user_email`, `user_password`, `user_regdate`) VALUES ('$username', '$email_address', '$db_password','" . time() . "')") or die (mysql_error());
[/code]
then I retrieved the phpbb user_id generated from the insertion, and then did another query that inserts the rest of the information into the site table, as well as the user_id. that way the two tables will be linked by the user_id, like so:
[code]
site          phpbb
====          =====
user_id <---> user_id
blah1         username
blah2         user_email
blah3         user_regdate
.             .
.             .
.             .
[/code]

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry for bumping ythis after so long, but me and my friends have tried to figure out how to do this but we're all php-virgins pretty much and are really really lost. Is there any chance you could give me a sort of, step by step guide on how to do it? :/ Sorry for being a pain, we're just really fumbling in the dark here and trying to learn how to work with php.

• 2 weeks later...
THIS CODE WILL LET USER LOGIN PHPBB FROM THERE OWN LOGINNG SYSTEM.

Had 5 min spare.

As long as you fill in the whatever what is in your user database for your members and put the link in for the login

There you go.

if your members log into your website with name and password there should be no problam.

FILL IN THE WHATEVER OK.

[code]

<?php
<br>
<table cellpadding=5><tr valign=top class=mes><td align=center>
<fieldset>
<legend style="color: #ffffff; font-family: verdana; font-size: 10pt;"> <b>Forum Setup</b>&nbsp;</legend>
<table width="300" class=mes><tr><td align=center>

<?
if ($mode==''){

//// EDIT THIS LINE ////

$table_prefix = 'phpbb_'; // your phpBB table_prefix (check your phpBB config.php after installation)
////////////////////////

$phpBB_table = 'users';
$tmp=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM WHATEVER WHERE  id='$id'");
while($phpBB=mysql_fetch_array($tmp)) {
$phpBB_id = ($phpBB['id']);
$phpBB_n = ($phpBB['name']);
$phpBB_p = md5($phpBB['password']); // use md5 encryption
$phpBB_e = ($phpBB['email']);
$phpBB_reg = ($phpBB['regdate']);
$sql = "INSERT INTO ".$table_prefix.$phpBB_table." (user_id, username, user_level, user_regdate, user_password, user_email, user_icq, user_website, user_occ, user_from, user_interests, user_sig, user_viewemail, user_style, user_aim, user_yim, user_msnm, user_posts, user_attachsig, user_allowsmile, user_allowhtml, user_allowbbcode, user_allow_pm, user_notify_pm, user_allow_viewonline, user_rank, user_avatar, user_lang, user_timezone, user_dateformat, user_actkey, user_newpasswd, user_notify, user_active) VALUES ( '$phpBB_id', '$phpBB_n', 0, '$phpBB_reg', '$phpBB_p', '$phpBB_e', '', '', '', '', '', '', 0, NULL, '', '', '', 0, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0, 1, 1, NULL, '', '', 0, '', '', '', 0, 1)";mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());
}}
echo "Your members have been added to your phpBB users table.<br><br>";
echo "If you are logged in user<br><a href=phpBB_setup.php?mode=test_login class=menu>click here</a> to test the forum login.";
if ($mode!=''){
$tmp=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM WHATEVER WHERE id= '$id' LIMIT 1");
while($phpBB=mysql_fetch_array($tmp)) {
$phpBB_n = ($phpBB['name']);
$phpBB_p = ($phpBB['password']);

//// EDIT THIS LINE ////
echo "<form action=\"http://WHATEVER.com\" method=\"post\" target=\"_blank\">";
////////////////////////

echo "<input type=\"hidden\" name=\"username\" size=\"25\" value=\"$phpBB_n\" maxlength=\"40\">";
echo "<input type=\"hidden\" name=\"password\" size=\"25\" value=\"$phpBB_p\" maxlength=\"32\">";
echo "<input type=\"submit\" name=\"login\" value=\"Test Login\">";
echo "</form>";}
}

?>

[/code]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.