Math Level - High School

unsider

What was the highest math you took throughout HS?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What was the highest math you took throughout HS?

• Algebra I
    • Geometry
    • Algebra II
    • Pre-Calculus
    • Triginometry
    • Calculus AB (Beginner)
    • Calculus BC (More Advanced)
    • Complex Systems (Extremely advanced)
    • Some Even Higher Level (Explain)

I'm curious what level of math you guys got to by the end of HS.

I'm a current sophmore in HS.

From the looks of it, I may get to Calculus BC, taking:

algebra I - 7

geometry - 8

algebra II - 9

pre-cal - 10

calculus AB/Trig - 11

calculus BC - 12

So...?

I got offered a job cruising the east coast of Australia in a yacht. I didn't end up taking the job for some stupid reason, but left school anyway. Ended up working in an electrical store selling tv's and vcrs.

Life experience has gotten me alot further than any schooling would have IMO.

Life experience has gotten me alot further than any schooling would have IMO.

I've always felt that it might, but part of me is still scared to do anything on my own, and I feel I would ultimately crawl back to my comfortable shell. But I'm glad it worked out for you.

Hey, I'm not knocking an education. Anyone with an education is likely to get further in life, but its not always the case.

I spent a good part of my early 20's running a muck. I played in bands touring Australia and generally had a darn good time. In 2000 my long term girfriend died of a herion overdose and I decided to settle.

I got stuck into work and through happening to be in the right place at the right time ended up being promoted into a position normally reserved for people with a higher education level. I had the experience and happended to be a hard worker.

Moving on, last year I bought my first house, this year Ive sold it and bought another. Currently it looks like I might get my foot in the door as a php developer finally and all this with relitively no education. You can tell by my spelling hey?

I had the experience and happended to be a hard worker.

I guess that should be idea to focus on, but I understand, and by no means would I give up the benefits I'm being given, but I've always wondered.

You can tell by my spelling hey?

Eh, at times, but there is no need to be a grammar nazi.

not a clue myself, I should have the best teeth in the world as I had over 80 bogus dental visits during my last year at school at 16 ( IMO the dentist should not have given me an appointment card which could fit 12 appointments on it) but for not attending school I now teach people how to fly and fight with an apache helicopter as a simulator instructor for the British military, and code in my spare time, so to answer the question ,my highest maths was very basic indeed

From the sounds of it, Calculus AB sounds like an FST class I took - Functions, Statistics, and Trigonometry. I don't actually remember much of the functions/statistics part (I remember a lot of graphs), but the trigonometry, I definitely remember. cos, sin, tan, acos, asin, atan, sec, csc, etc. All those fun triangle things. (I think I need a refresher, though.)

My guess is that Calculus BC is actual Calculus. Derivation and integration, most probably with single variables.

Assuming that my previous assumptions are accurate, I've taken both of them. I've taken Calc BC twice, actually - once in my final year of high school, and once in my freshman year of university. And I think I'm going to see if I can find a class to sit in on when I go back, to give myself a refresher. (Shh, I'm sure the university doesn't like that.)

From the sounds of it, Calculus AB sounds like an FST class I took - Functions, Statistics, and Trigonometry. I don't actually remember much of the functions/statistics part (I remember a lot of graphs), but the trigonometry, I definitely remember. cos, sin, tan, acos, asin, atan, sec, csc, etc. All those fun triangle things. (I think I need a refresher, though.)

My guess is that Calculus BC is actual Calculus. Derivation and integration, most probably with single variables.

Assuming that my previous assumptions are accurate, I've taken both of them. I've taken Calc BC twice, actually - once in my final year of high school, and once in my freshman year of university. And I think I'm going to see if I can find a class to sit in on when I go back, to give myself a refresher. (Shh, I'm sure the university doesn't like that.)

That's a pretty close summary. I'm sure it varies a little, but I'd say that pretty much covers it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm one of those to attend one of the poorest schools in the UK, one which is constantly at threat of being closed down. Unfortunately I didn't learn as much I could in the maths area and most of what I know today is from what I've learnt myself.

It's got me very far. As far as I know the schooling in the US is a lot more complex and sophisticated than the schools in the UK, probably due to the extended 2 years of compulsory education. But they just seem generally smarter too.

The schools in the UK seem to treat the students as if they are still small children and the students seem to like that all the time which is dumbing the country down quite a bit but we always seem to pull through.

I got as far as doing Triginometry and I was in one of the highest classes. Says something? -_-

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.