Problem with MySQL service

Orion

I am trying to setup MySQL on my local Windows 2000 machine and I\'m running into a problem that hopefully someone here can help with.

Loaded MySQL 4.0

Loaded MyODBC 2.5

Setup the DSN to point to the database I\'m going to create. Opened up WinMySQLAdmin 1.4 to establish a connection. Used command prompt to create database, and everything seemed to work just fine.

However, if I close WinMySQLAdmin or reboot my machine. I can\'t get the service to start up again. WinMySQLAdmin won\'t connect, and if I try to manually restart the service, I get \"error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly.\"

The only way I\'ve found to get it working again is to uninstall everything, redownload MySQL and MyODBC, reinstall, and sometimes this works. That\'s obviously really crappy and not an acceptable solution.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Do you still have this issue? I guess we can know more by looking into the \"Event Viewer\" in the control panel.

Also you can make the service start automatically when the system is started and also there are settings that can make it try more than once if there are any issues in startrting.

when you click on WinMySQLAdmin you can see it running in the task bar. When you close that also your mysql service wills till run unless you sepcify stop service. The main use of WinMySQLAdmin is to start and stop service and aslo see all the configuartions done on your mysql.

Mysql is just a service and as I said eralier make mysql run \"AUTOMATIC\".

Thank you very much for the help. I appreciate all of your advice and tips.

It\'s kinda weird though. I setup MySQL on another Win2k machine, and it runs perfectly. Everytime you reboot, the service starts automatically. Everything is great.

But on my machine, and a WinXP machine I also set it up on, I can\'t get the service to run automatically. Like I said before, if you reboot, or just close the WinMySQLAdmin instead of hiding it, you can never get the service started again... Manually or automatically. I know there\'s got to be something that\'s set incorrectly that I just have to find. I\'m going to try comparing the my.ini on the working computer with that on the non-working computers. Maybe I can see something there and just manually edit the my.ini on the non-working computers. Worth a shot I guess.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.