filter empty fields in $_POST array

Raz3rt
Go to solution Solved by Raz3rt,

Hi, i'm new here and hope i've finally found a forum where i can find the perfect solution for my questions.

Well since a year now i started to work with PHP and still now and then there are some things where i seize on. My question is on of those situations.

I have the following code:

if (isset($_POST)){

foreach ($_POST as $key => $value){

if (!empty($value)){
    $update_rma_detail_stmt = $dbh->prepare("UPDATE rma_detail SET $key = ? WHERE rd_rma_nr = ?");
    $update_rma_detail_stmt->bindParam(1, $value);
    $update_rma_detail_stmt->bindParam(2, $getadmrmaid);
    $update_rma_detail_stmt->execute();

}
  } 
}

All i want is when there is an empty (not filled in) input field because it is not mandatory the foreach still continuous to the end.

When i use

if (!empty($value)){

It still outputs these error:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'PDOException' with message 'SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1366 Incorrect integer value: ' '

However, when i dont use i got an other error: 

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'PDOException' with message 'SQLSTATE[22007]: Invalid datetime format: 1292 Incorrect date value: ''

It is however so that the datetime is the very first empty field it come across when looping. I think my if (!empty($value)){ is doing the right thing but still gives error's on integers. Can it be? I allready tried to use trim() or array_filter() but because i previously never used it i dont know if i am doing it the right way so any help is welkom!

Thanks!

Edited by Raz3rt

So the value of key is going to be an integer value, right? I believe for PDO you should be specifying the data type, in this instance PDO::PARAM_INT:

$update_rma_detail_stmt->bindParam(1, $value, PDO::PARAM_INT);

Does this make any difference? The check for empty is returning FALSE so the variable must be a non-null value?

• Solution

So the value of key is going to be an integer value, right? I believe for PDO you should be specifying the data type, in this instance PDO::PARAM_INT:

$update_rma_detail_stmt->bindParam(1, $value, PDO::PARAM_INT);

Does this make any difference? The check for empty is returning FALSE so the variable must be a non-null value?

Thanks IanA for you reply!

As i remember it is not nessesary to specify the date type, i never did it before though. After a long search i've manage to find my "stupid" fold i have made. My problem only appears when the foreach wanted to loop through a select from my form & my first rule in the select was: <option value="$nbsp;" selected></option>. As you may notice the value is a space so the person cannot make a wrong entry. Changing the   to 0 fixed the problem. Sorry i had to bother for such a small thing.

Edited by Raz3rt

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.