sitemap create large website photo albums with java etc

ssaigal

For the last 2 months I have purchased software and utilized free software to attempt to create a sitemap fro my websites

www.negroartist.com

www.africanafrican.com

all of them fail and do not look at all links. i.e. look at a photo album with all the htm in the photo album.

Most of the windows based software do not work and often crash. I want it to index ALL of my site (except images, pdf etc)

Is there any php code, program etc. out there to help me through my dilemna that has instructions for configurabillity? I can also try anything that uses apache etc.

i am at my whits end with this. please help.

has anyone used bing sitemap plugin? how do you install this baby?

my links will total in the hundreds of thousands.

• 4 weeks later...

In my opinion you need to have a good cms so you have a structure for your sites.

Having random content made with frontpage and different html pages is not the way to go.

You even have href links such as this file:///web/20050303012600/http://www.africanaonline.com//

Most sitemap creators follow certain patterns looking for href links and that's it.

Is a pile of free cms out there.

http://www.opensourcecms.com/ lists a pile of them and even has demos and reviews.

A few to consider

MediaWiki

Joomla

Wordpress

Drupal

Silverstripe

Coppermine comes to mind for an image based site

Typo3

Having single articles pages/posts with content within it is the way to go.

Be organized in some way, have the ability to do both articles and also image galleries when needed.

Ability to have it saved into a database and backed up.

Once you get something better as for a website, you can implement something like opengraph or oembed.

This will enable any search engine and such to find the relative data.

Lots of cms have seo plugins that will also help.

What I'm saying is forget a sitemap. If your site is built proper and has it's own search, is no need for it.

Your html source is quite a mess, I see some are just 100's of lines in a <ul> others separated by just a <p>, anything goes there.

You actually need to parse all that data individual.

If that person wants to spend lots of time writing scripts and trying to parse each type of page...that won't be worth it and take a lot longer to do.

Would be best to break this all down and repost it into structured data.

Start inserting your data into a new cms a bit at a time.

That's my 2 cents.

Edit:

I wanted to add that it's worth making custom scrapers to obtain and save data in a different way on certain sections of your sites.

Will take someone with knowledge of doing various scraping techniques and wouldn't be cheap.

But will save lots of your time and have something better in the end.

Edited by QuickOldCar

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.