Unique Visitor Check

BUNN1E5

I want to to check if a person who comes to my site is either new or recurring and allow a download ONLY if they are new to the site. I would like to do something like check the IP adress of the person and see if it is in the database. I have never programmed in php before so it is entirely new to me, so i would like you to help me by writing an example script that does this that i can modify.
Thank You

ip's change, is not a reliable way to do it.

For something like this are better off that users have to log in and that user can only do it once.

No method is foolproof but the user way is a better option.

Sure a user can sign up again, is more of a task though, eliminate signing up same email helps.

This forum is for helping people with coding, not creating it.

Is a freelance section here can ask

http://forums.phpfreaks.com/forum/77-job-offerings/

Edited by QuickOldCar

If you insist on checking the IP here's the general outline of what to do (not the code! that's not what this section is for).

Use the mysqli extension for this. You can learn about it here.

• Connect to database
  • Check if IP is existing in database. Get clients IP from using $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']
  • If it doesn't exist, insert ip into database and download.
  • else do whatever.

Just ask them to provide an email address, then automatically generate an email to that address with a unique download link which will only work once (use a token in the URL). Insert the email address into your database, and check whether that email address has been previously used before sending the email. If it has been used already, alert the user.

Edited by paddyfields

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.