Correct variable use

daveyah2002
Go to solution Solved by daveyah2002,

Hi,

just joined today.

I am using a variable to chose a template dependent on when the user is logged in it shows a search box or not if they haven't. As a php beginner I just want to know if this is the correct method or should I be declaring 'template' somewhere specific.

It is only used in this one file.

I hope I've used the code tags correctly...

<php?

include_once("login_status.php")

If(user_login==true){
$template="template_top.php"
 ...web page with search box
}else{
...web page without search box
$template="template_top_NoSearch.php"
}
?>

<html>
<?php include_once($template); ?>
</html>

Rather than have two templates one with a searchbox and the other without. Instead have one template for your sites over all layout. You then extract elements from that template into smaller template files which you only include when you need them. Ie in your templare file you have something like this

<html>
<head>
    <title>Site Title</title>
    ... etc
</head>
<body>

<?php
    // if user logged in include the searchbar template
    if($user_login) include 'searchbar.php';
    ?>

<body>
</html>

Searchbar.php will only contain the HTML for your searchbar. The searchbar will only be shown if $user_login is true.

Hi

Thanks for the reply,

I did think about that but I got the impression that as it's a form search box and part of the template for the top of the page then I would need to exclude individual form elements.

I could be wrong.  To me that was more hassle than it's worth and easier to reproduce the top template with and without the form.

I will have another look at it though.

Many thanks.

Thanks.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.