Building simple chat windows

greenace92

Hello,

I want to know first, how to start new pages or small windows 

Next, how to temporarily store data and then delete upon exit of chat so that memory can be saved 

How to embed objects like images (objects?) 

How to have resizable or set the size of input field for the message

Show a sign like "person is typing" when other person is inputting data 

I'll probably get yelled at, I'm trying to amass all the information I need

I'll research each subject as I accomplish a task 

Right now I could really use a download script that saves a photo, gets url of photo and searches the document for "By Name" and cuts out / stores the Name part and then renames the file with an increment of one, instead I have to do 300 clicks with my mouse. = ineptitude or ignorance 

That is theoretically the ideal case but I have to sift through photos, see which ones are good eg. face is covered by watermark 

Thanks for any help 

Edited by greenace92

There is a version 2 for that

http://css-tricks.com/chat2/

But why even bother since this is a horrible way to do it.

Have a look at this link that explains some other methods such as sse (server side event),long polling, html5 websockets

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11077857/what-are-long-polling-websockets-server-sent-events-sse-and-comet

Ratchet is a loosely coupled PHP library providing developers with tools to create real time, bi-directional applications between clients and servers over WebSockets.

http://socketo.me/

Christ, how many cans of worms must I open? 

haha 

It's awesome though I have all the time in the world it seems 

Funny how harsh that cross out seems 

Okay... thank you for this 

It's a slow process, one thing at a time, I hope to make progress every single day which is what I have been doing these last couple of days until a few hours ago... ate a lot of food, sugar crash.... ehhh. Tea and rice or a can of tuna and mayo. 

Anyway this is fantastic, thank you again. 

I can't wait to have a finished product and boldly claim "That is mine, I made that, with my mind" hahaha 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.