hey guys,

i was introuduced the the world of csrf a little while ago by a member of PHP Freaks, beofore hand i had'nt a clue...so i decided to read a little more into and created a class to deal with generating tokens and ensuring the site is free from CSRF.

now my understanding is that a CSRF can be made from clicking on sponsers, images and basically anything that can cause a request to another site/domain.

now with the script allows the user to have multipule tokens and a new token is generated everytime when filling a form or whatever, allowing user to have more than one tab open.  I'm just a little concerned that a CSRF attack can still be made this way as a new token is made on each form page.

when creating a form i do this:

<input name="csrf_token" type="hidden" value="12345" />

then on post im able to do something like this:

$token = $csrf->get_token(); // token for input

if ($csrf->is_safe($post->csrf_token) && form->is_valid())
{
	echo "safe"
}
else
{
	echo "unsafe";
}

here is my class

<?php

namespace Security;

use Session\Session as Session;
use Security\SSL;

class CSRF
{
	protected $_expiration = "3600";

public function get_token($expiration = null)
	{
		$ssl     = new SSL;
		$token   = $ssl->random_string(20);
		$session = new Session;
		$session->start();

if ($expiration === null)
		{
			$expiration = $this->_expiration; 
		}
		else if (!is_numeric($expiration))
		{
			// error	
		}

if (!$session->offset_exists('csrf_token'))
		{
			$session->csrf_token = array();
		}

$expiration = time() + $expiration;

$session->append('csrf_token', array('token'      => $token,
				                             'expiration' => $expiration
		));

return $csrf_token;
	}

protected function token_exists($token) 
	{
		$session    = new Session;
		$session->start();
		$csrf_token = $session->csrf_token;
		$result     = false;

foreach ($csrf_token as $key => $array)
		{
			if (time() > $array['expiration'])
			{
				$session->offset_unset('csrf_token', $key);
			}
			else if ($array['expiration'] > time()&&
			         $array['token'] === $token)
			{
				$session->offset_unset('csrf_token', $key);
				$result = true;
			}
		}

return $result;
	}

public function is_safe($token)
	{
		if ($this->token_exists($token))
		{
			return true;
		}

return false;
	}
}

any advise would be greatful, thank you

Edited by Destramic

If the random numbers are sufficiently strong, I don't see any major security problems.

However, maintaining a long list of all current tokens and iterating through it on every single request isn't really a good approach. You should generate one token in the log-in procedure and then simply use this token for every form.

Generating a new token for every request is acceptable and secure, but it has no advantage over a single token and is unnecessarily complex. Should an attacker manage to get one token (through cross-site scripting or network sniffing), then it's game over either way. Invalidating the token on first use won't help. So you might as well use a single token for the entire session.

The expiration is also problematic. Let's say I write a long text, maybe leave the PC for a while and then try to submit the text, but the token has already expired. Will I lose the entire text? In your model, it's an “illegal” request. But of course there's no attack whatsoever, I just needed more time than you expected. You wouldn't have this problem if the token was valid for the lifetime of the session.

Your right...I've just made something so simple complex...that's what you get for looking a other people's ideas and thinking it's the best way. I'm gonna remove most of the crap and just have it as you say...one token for a whole session...thanks again for your help :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.