ajax chat over entire site

I have a ajax chat script but the page that i want to use it on is regular html so when i click on a link the chat either has to refresh or goes away. I need a way to laer the site so the ajax is always on top and the content can change.

I thought of doping frames but I cant find a way to put two ontop each other i dont think you can.

I thought of making the page ajax and using the xml request to get the page content that works but then I loose the back button. I started studying gmail and couldn't figure it out. Can someone tell me how the #inbox and #spam I have made the links like

<a href="#mainpage" onclick="javascript:changecontent('mainpage')">mainpage</a>

The back button shows the different pages but when i click then the url changes but everything just stays the same. Can someone help me figure out how to change the pages with the back button?

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.