Sharing shopping carts in cart software

mo

Hello,

I created a PHP/MySQL shopping cart and I want to add an option where a user can email the cart to someone and allow that person to add to the same cart by following a link to the store. This is like a group order.

My main issue is the session/login. The cart will have a unique session ID and the main user (user who initiatted the order) will be logged in with this session ID and I do not want the additional people to have to log-in to add to the group order.

If I require that a user must have an account and than login to my store to add to the cart than I have no issue.

I want any visitor to be able to add to the cart but with the way I currently have my software setup, this is not possible as there is an access check on all the cart related pages. I guess I could alter the access control logic to check if the logged in user is a group user and therefor treat that session differently?????

My main issue is the session/login. The cart will have a unique session ID and the main user (user who initiatted the order) will be logged in with this session ID and I do not want the additional people to have to log-in to add to the group order.

If I require that a user must have an account and than login to my store to add to the cart than I have no issue.

You should use mysql to back it up.  Basically when the users hits "send a person a cart" the user cart is added to a mysql table of permed carts instead of the temp carts you may use now.  Linked via an mysql auto increment ID + a sessionID so when the user continues to shop it updates both the temp and perm cart.

No real issue here just storing a lot of data

You should use mysql to back it up.  Basically when the users hits "send a person a cart" the user cart is added to a mysql table of permed carts instead of the temp carts you may use now.  Linked via an mysql auto increment ID + a sessionID so when the user continues to shop it updates both the temp and perm cart.

No real issue here just storing a lot of data

Thanks for your reply. I am using MySQL to back the cart. The cart is in the DB and not just a temp cart so I could have another user update the cart by referencing the unique cart ID but I would need the additional user(s) to be logged into the cart which means they need to have an account.

My issue is not how to share the cart from a DB perspective but from a session perspective. I can alter my logic that checks if a user is logged in but this causes all sorts of problems.

I think I will just make it a requirement that a person must have an account with my store to add to a group cart.

If you're doing it that way, it's much more logical to just create a 'shared session' for the cart with a long expiration date.

The original cart creator picks x users or y usergroup with permission to modify the cart. The next time x users or a user in y group logs in the shared cart is now visible.

It's exactly like a normal session, only no sensitive information is stored, and the id is shared.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I made it required that you need to have a user ID to add to a group cart and this way I have have the main user (who initiated the order) email the cart id to friends and when the friend(s) log in they can enter a shared cart area and pull up the cart by entering the ID. I just now need to add logic to make sure only the originator of the cart can submit it for checkout, etc. and make sure I did not affect any of the old functionality of my cart.

I'm not sure if this is important or not, but...

Say any random user enters cart number 10, even though they weren't emailed it initially... could this be a problem?

You double key it similar to how an email authentication system uses two keys to make sure random traffic don't get to it.

Yes using GET will leave a fingerprint, but thats minimal.

It works, but why not build a list of user_id's allowed to modify the cart? That way you wouldn't be relying on cryptic id's whatsoever :) The user doesn't have to log in and check their email for the link every time they want to modify the cart :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.