[SOLVED] Please help!

Moron

Sorry for the panic, but....

Here's the query:

$RESULTDS=mssql_query("SELECT DISTINCT LH.[Employee Number], M2.[hrYRAT], M2.[EMPNO], M2.[MANLAP], M2.[PAYCTR], M2.[MANLAC], M2.[MANLTC], M2.[MSKLAB], M2.[MSKLTC], M2.[NAMEMI], M2.[NAMEL], M2.[NAMEF], EH.[DATE], EH.[ENETPA], EH.[EGRSER], EH.[EREGHR], EH.[EDEDUC], EH.[EROTHR], EH.[EFWHD], EH.[EPEDAT], EH.[ESSDED], EH.[EHOSPD], EH.[ELIFED], EH.[ECRUD], M2.[POSITN], M2.[MCTDWH], M2.[MHDATE], M2.[MCTDCS], M2.[MO3TOT], M2.[MCTDLD], M2.[MCTDGE], M2.[MALPPP], M2.[MSSNO], M2.[MSLPPP], M2.[MWHSTA], M2.[MWHALL], M2.[MWHADD], EH.[EGARND], EP.[EMPNO], DP.[EMPNO], EI.[DDEPTN], EI.[NEWOCC], EI.[hrYRAT], EI.[MEMPAD], EI.[MEMPCS], EI.[MEMPZI], DP.[Department]

FROM MASTERL2  M2	 

LEFT JOIN LEAVHST LH
ON LH.[Employee Number]=M2.EMPNO  LEFT JOIN EARNHIST EH
ON EH.[EEMPNO]=M2.EMPNO LEFT JOIN EMPPICTURE EP
ON EP.[EMPNO]=EH.EEMPNO LEFT JOIN Departments DP
ON DP.[EMPNO]=EP.EMPNO LEFT JOIN View_EmployeeInfo EI
ON EI.[EMPNO]=M2.EMPNO 

WHERE M2.[EMPNO] = '".$_POST['empcode']."' AND 
$lastfour = '".$_POST['password']."'

ORDER BY M2.[EMPNO] desc"); 

I need their entered password to match the last four of the SSN (M2.[MSSNO]). I can put this AFTER the query:

$lastfour = substr($RESULT['MSSNO'], -4);

But how can I define it BEFORE the query or INSIDE the WHERE statement?

Thanks.

EDIT: I just went "live" with this today and discovered that an employee can put another employee's employee number with ANY password and it works. NOT GOOD.

My mistake - i read the question and not the code. Didn't notice you were using mssql.

I would expect the required WHERE clause to be something along the lines of:

substr(M2.[MSSNO,-4) = '".$_POST['password']."'

However, I've never worked with mssql and cant seem to find any documentation on the web for string functions in mssql, so it is almost certainly different from the above.

My mistake - i read the question and not the code. Didn't notice you were using mssql.

I would expect the required WHERE clause to be something along the lines of:

substr(M2.[MSSNO,-4) = '".$_POST['password']."'

However, I've never worked with mssql and cant seem to find any documentation on the web for string functions in mssql, so it is almost certainly different from the above.

Thanks, but it's throwing errors.

substr should be substring

SUBSTRING(M2.[MSSNO,-4) = '".$_POST['password']."'

Can try that

Ray

Thanks, but it errors. It says that the "substring function requires 3 arguments."

I know this is redundant but I don't use mssql very much but try

SUBSTRING(M2.[MSSNO],-4,4) = '".$_POST['password']."'

also from my access days try using right

RIGHT(M2.[MSSNO],4) = '".$_POST['password']."'

Ray

I know this is redundant but I don't use mssql very much but try

SUBSTRING(M2.[MSSNO],-4,4) = '".$_POST['password']."'

Ray

Thanks, Ray, but this one crashes because, apparently, it's not pulling from M2.[MSSNO]. It goes to my "die" statement.

OK cgm that helps.

Back on topic. Mssql may not support -4 like mysql does. Since all SS numbers are the same length you can still do this.

if you are storing the number with the hyphens then

SUBSTRING(M2.[MSSNO],8,4) = '".$_POST['password']."'

May be 7 not 8. Not sure if mssql starts at 0 or 1

without the hyphens

SUBSTRING(M2.[MSSNO],6,4) = '".$_POST['password']."'

Again may be 5 not 6.

Ray

OK cgm that helps.

Back on topic. Mssql may not support -4 like mysql does. Since all SS numbers are the same length you can still do this.

if you are storing the number with the hyphens then

SUBSTRING(M2.[MSSNO],8,4) = '".$_POST['password']."'

May be 7 not 8. Not sure if mssql starts at 0 or 1

without the hyphens

SUBSTRING(M2.[MSSNO],6,4) = '".$_POST['password']."'

Again may be 5 not 6.

Ray

Thanks again, Ray, but it still goes to the "die" statement.

Maybe the entire query will help:

$RESULTDS=mssql_query("SELECT DISTINCT LH.[Employee Number], M2.[hrYRAT], M2.[EMPNO], M2.[MANLAP], M2.[PAYCTR], M2.[MANLAC], M2.[MANLTC], M2.[MSKLAB], M2.[MSKLTC], M2.[NAMEMI], M2.[NAMEL], M2.[NAMEF], EH.[DATE], EH.[ENETPA], EH.[EGRSER], EH.[EREGHR], EH.[EDEDUC], EH.[EROTHR], EH.[EFWHD], EH.[EPEDAT], EH.[ESSDED], EH.[EHOSPD], EH.[ELIFED], EH.[ECRUD], M2.[POSITN], M2.[MCTDWH], M2.[MHDATE], M2.[MCTDCS], M2.[MO3TOT], M2.[MCTDLD], M2.[MCTDGE], M2.[MALPPP], M2.[MSLPPP], M2.[MWHSTA], M2.[MWHALL], M2.[MWHADD], EH.[EGARND], EP.[EMPNO], DP.[EMPNO], EI.[DDEPTN], EI.[NEWOCC], EI.[hrYRAT], EI.[MEMPAD], EI.[MEMPCS], EI.[MEMPZI], DP.[Department]

FROM MASTERL2  M2	 

LEFT JOIN LEAVHST LH
ON EI.[EMPNO]=M2.EMPNO 

WHERE ((M2.[EMPNO] = '".$_POST['empcode']."' and 
$lastfour = '".$_POST['password']."') or ($lastfour = '".$_SESSION['password']."' and M2.[EMPNO] = '".$_SESSION['empcode']."'))

ORDER BY M2.[EMPNO] desc"); 

What I really WANT to have work is:

'".$_POST['password']."' = substr(M2.[MSSNO], -4))

Is is just that my syntax is wrong (missing quotes or whatnot) or is this query not logical?

make your query a variable so you can echo it out

<?php
$sql = "SELECT DISTINCT LH.[Employee Number], M2.[hrYRAT], M2.[EMPNO], M2.[MANLAP], M2.[PAYCTR], M2.[MANLAC], M2.[MANLTC], M2.[MSKLAB], M2.[MSKLTC], M2.[NAMEMI], M2.[NAMEL], M2.[NAMEF], EH.[DATE], EH.[ENETPA], EH.[EGRSER], EH.[EREGHR], EH.[EDEDUC], EH.[EROTHR], EH.[EFWHD], EH.[EPEDAT], EH.[ESSDED], EH.[EHOSPD], EH.[ELIFED], EH.[ECRUD], M2.[POSITN], M2.[MCTDWH], M2.[MHDATE], M2.[MCTDCS], M2.[MO3TOT], M2.[MCTDLD], M2.[MCTDGE], M2.[MALPPP], M2.[MSLPPP], M2.[MWHSTA], M2.[MWHALL], M2.[MWHADD], EH.[EGARND], EP.[EMPNO], DP.[EMPNO], EI.[DDEPTN], EI.[NEWOCC], EI.[hrYRAT], EI.[MEMPAD], EI.[MEMPCS], EI.[MEMPZI], DP.[Department]

FROM MASTERL2  M2	 

LEFT JOIN LEAVHST LH
ON EI.[EMPNO]=M2.EMPNO 

$lastfour = '".$_POST['password']."') or ($lastfour = '".$_SESSION['password']."' and M2.[EMPNO] = '".$_SESSION['empcode']."'))

ORDER BY M2.[EMPNO] desc";

echo $sql;
//$RESULTDS = mssql_query($sql) or die(mssql_error());
?>

You can always get the results and compare it after

$rows = mssql_fetch_assoc($RESULTDS);
$lastfour = substr($rows['MSSNO'], -4);
if($lastfour == $_POST['password']){
// run rest of script

} else {
echo "passwords don't match";
}

Ray

make your query a variable so you can echo it out

<?php
$sql = "SELECT DISTINCT LH.[Employee Number], M2.[hrYRAT], M2.[EMPNO], M2.[MANLAP], M2.[PAYCTR], M2.[MANLAC], M2.[MANLTC], M2.[MSKLAB], M2.[MSKLTC], M2.[NAMEMI], M2.[NAMEL], M2.[NAMEF], EH.[DATE], EH.[ENETPA], EH.[EGRSER], EH.[EREGHR], EH.[EDEDUC], EH.[EROTHR], EH.[EFWHD], EH.[EPEDAT], EH.[ESSDED], EH.[EHOSPD], EH.[ELIFED], EH.[ECRUD], M2.[POSITN], M2.[MCTDWH], M2.[MHDATE], M2.[MCTDCS], M2.[MO3TOT], M2.[MCTDLD], M2.[MCTDGE], M2.[MALPPP], M2.[MSLPPP], M2.[MWHSTA], M2.[MWHALL], M2.[MWHADD], EH.[EGARND], EP.[EMPNO], DP.[EMPNO], EI.[DDEPTN], EI.[NEWOCC], EI.[hrYRAT], EI.[MEMPAD], EI.[MEMPCS], EI.[MEMPZI], DP.[Department]

FROM MASTERL2  M2	 

LEFT JOIN LEAVHST LH
ON EI.[EMPNO]=M2.EMPNO 

echo $sql;
?>

You can always get the results and compare it after

$lastfour = substr($rows['MSSNO'], -4);
if($lastfour == $_POST['password']){
// run rest of script

} else {
}

Ray

Okay, maybe we're getting somewhere now. It gives me "passwords don't match" as stated in your code.

One thing, though; forget about "lastfour." This is lastfour:

$lastfour = substr($_SESSION['password'], -4); // returns last four of password

I must have been asleep when I wrote that one.

I need the password, as entered by the employee, to match the last four digits of M2[MSSNO].

What should I try next?

EDIT: Specifically, I need for $_POST['password'] to match the last four of M2[MSSNO]. This is their SSN.

OK try this

<?php

FROM MASTERL2  M2

LEFT JOIN LEAVHST LH
ON EI.[EMPNO]=M2.EMPNO

WHERE M2.[EMPNO] = '".$_POST['empcode']."'

echo $sql; // for testing purposes
$RESULTDS = mssql_query($sql) or die(mssql_error());
// last four of the social security number in database
$d_lastfour = substr($rows['MSSNO'], -4);
echo "$d_lastfour<br />"; // for testing purposes
//  format $_POST['password']
$p_lastfour = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['password']);
echo "$p_lastfour<br />"; // for testing purposes
if($d_lastfour == $p_lastfour){
// run rest of script

} else {
}
?>

Ray

Let me see if I can break this down into simpler terms. If I run this:

$tempnumber = $RESULT['MSSNO'];
$ssntest = substr($tempnumber, -4);
echo $ssntest;

...it gives me exactly what I'm looking for, the last four of the SSN. But, this only works if I run it after the query. I suppose this is because $RESULT['MSSNO'] doesn't exist until the query is ran.

So how can I do a similar technique inside the query, or at least define a function before the query is ran? I suspect that would do what I want.

And Ray, thanks a TON for your help so far!

Well one of the reasons I suggested that is because mssql may not support substring, but last we can try this for the query

$sql = "SELECT DISTINCT LH.[Employee Number], M2.[hrYRAT], M2.[EMPNO], M2.[MANLAP], M2.[PAYCTR], M2.[MANLAC], M2.[MANLTC], M2.[MSKLAB], M2.[MSKLTC], M2.[NAMEMI], M2.[NAMEL], M2.[NAMEF], EH.[DATE], EH.[ENETPA], EH.[EGRSER], EH.[EREGHR], EH.[EDEDUC], EH.[EROTHR], EH.[EFWHD], EH.[EPEDAT], EH.[ESSDED], EH.[EHOSPD], EH.[ELIFED], EH.[ECRUD], M2.[POSITN], M2.[MCTDWH], M2.[MHDATE], M2.[MCTDCS], M2.[MO3TOT], M2.[MCTDLD], M2.[MCTDGE], M2.[MALPPP], M2.[MSLPPP], M2.[MWHSTA], M2.[MWHALL], M2.[MWHADD], EH.[EGARND], EP.[EMPNO], DP.[EMPNO], EI.[DDEPTN], EI.[NEWOCC], EI.[hrYRAT], EI.[MEMPAD], EI.[MEMPCS], EI.[MEMPZI], DP.[Department], SUBSTRING(M2.[MSSNO], 6, 4) AS `d_lastfour` 

FROM MASTERL2  M2

LEFT JOIN LEAVHST LH
ON EI.[EMPNO]=M2.EMPNO

WHERE M2.[EMPNO] = '".$_POST['empcode']."' AND `d_lastfour` = '$p_lastfour'  

Notice I am doing the substring in the select portion and giving it an alias, then comparing the alias to the Post password

Ray

Well one of the reasons I suggested that is because mssql may not support substring, but last we can try this for the query

$sql = "SELECT DISTINCT LH.[Employee Number], M2.[hrYRAT], M2.[EMPNO], M2.[MANLAP], M2.[PAYCTR], M2.[MANLAC], M2.[MANLTC], M2.[MSKLAB], M2.[MSKLTC], M2.[NAMEMI], M2.[NAMEL], M2.[NAMEF], EH.[DATE], EH.[ENETPA], EH.[EGRSER], EH.[EREGHR], EH.[EDEDUC], EH.[EROTHR], EH.[EFWHD], EH.[EPEDAT], EH.[ESSDED], EH.[EHOSPD], EH.[ELIFED], EH.[ECRUD], M2.[POSITN], M2.[MCTDWH], M2.[MHDATE], M2.[MCTDCS], M2.[MO3TOT], M2.[MCTDLD], M2.[MCTDGE], M2.[MALPPP], M2.[MSLPPP], M2.[MWHSTA], M2.[MWHALL], M2.[MWHADD], EH.[EGARND], EP.[EMPNO], DP.[EMPNO], EI.[DDEPTN], EI.[NEWOCC], EI.[hrYRAT], EI.[MEMPAD], EI.[MEMPCS], EI.[MEMPZI], DP.[Department], SUBSTRING(M2.[MSSNO], 6, 4) AS `d_lastfour` 

FROM MASTERL2  M2

LEFT JOIN LEAVHST LH
ON EI.[EMPNO]=M2.EMPNO

WHERE M2.[EMPNO] = '".$_POST['empcode']."' AND `d_lastfour` = '$p_lastfour'  

Notice I am doing the substring in the select portion and giving it an alias, then comparing the alias to the Post password

Ray

Thanks again, but this is error city. Yes, MS SQL supports substr() and I'm using it in several places. It just doesn't seem to like it in a query.

:(

I guess what it boils down to is.....how can I create a variable that uses data from the query before the query is ran?

$_POST['empcode']

...is the employee's ID number. It's four digits.

$_POST['password']

...is the last four of the employee's SSN. BUT....the database field has the entire SSN (all nine digits). I can easily run substr() on the SSN (M2[MSSNO]), but only after I pull the SSN with the query.

Can this be done? It looks almost like a "chicken and egg" riddle.

I guess what it boils down to is.....how can I create a variable that uses data from the query before the query is ran?

Basically what your saying is that you want to get data from the database without running a query. So no, thats not possible. You'll have to use two separate queries

Thanks for the help, everyone. I suspect that the trick is to incorporate the substr() function into the query itself somehow.

Anyway, the problem is solved, but not via PHP; we're going to add another field to the table which lists the last four digits of everyone's SSN.

Thanks again!

8)

Never used ACCESS but can you not use wildcards and LIKE clause in ACCESS?

eg:

<?php

FROM MASTERL2  M2	 

LEFT JOIN LEAVHST LH
ON EI.[EMPNO]=M2.EMPNO 

WHERE (M2.[EMPNO] = '".$_SESSION['empcode']."' and 
M2.[MSSNO] LIKE '%".$_SESSION['password']."')

echo $sql;
?>

So obviously the password is always 4 digits. in mysql this would work as long as $password matched at the end of MSSNO string.

hope this helps,

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.