Blowfish php encryption half decrypting

mitcho

Hi All.

I have a site that uses blowfish encryption to firstly save some user details to a mySQL database submitted in a form, which are then decrypted to be viewed in the backend of the site.

This has worked fine for 6 months without problem, then all of a sudden, i noticed some users data was not being decrypted properly in the backend. when i view the 'decrypted' details, half of it is decrypted then the second half is still strange encrypted characters (e.g. ”¥£åyök).

The details which are being decrypted/encrypted is a credit card number. as i said, works fine then all of a sudden a couple of times ive noticed the above problem. it also seems to be the same people having the problem, so does this mean that there is a certain series of digits which break the blowfish algorithm, or could it be the computer/browser the user is using when submitting the form?

Any assistance/advice will come much appreciated!

Thanks all

• 10 months later...

Hi all,

This same thing is happening again and i thought i would check google for a solution - and i came across this post which i actually posted some time ago.

Wondering if now, almost a year later, anyone has any new information about this.

its being used to encrypt and decrypt a bankcard number, and its the same person (actually its only that person) whose card is not being decrypted properly - just the last 8 characters.

so could the last 8 characters be causing a conflict do you think??? if so where would that conflict lie within the blowfish scripts?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.