run python script from php ( threadable?)

PC Nerd

Hi,

Ive got a python script that used a file, and I want to build a PHP backend/frontend setup for my site - so that the python script can run on a file upload.  Its a similar sort of thing to the onlien doc to pdf converters.

The short of it:

now to I run a python script, and send it 3 arguments?

The longer version of my question:

Im not sure how to do this, but I dont really want to have the user waiting for a longer period of time while the python script runs, so Im looking for a way to also run the python script, almost on another thread.  I am on a shared host so i night have to live with the delay.

basically Ill need to pass teh python script 3 variables, an input filename, an output filename, and a table name (it works with SQL).  So - Im not sure exactly how to pass those arguments to python either?

EDIT: python is installed on my server, I can manage all teh file writing and upload sort of stuff, its jsut the running of the python script that i dont know how to do.

Thanks for any and all help.

well its a shared host, so i probably wont be able to do much with the system function, because it looks liek it playing with all the directories on their server.

assuming that my script: script.py is in teh same folder/directory that the php is running from, how would I use exec or shell_exec to run the python with arguments

also - whats the difference between the two functions that you mentioned?

Thanks for the speedy reply

ok.

Ive read through that.

is it possible to run it directly like a program, instead of rely on importing python into php.

i noticed the ARGV or similar in that walkthrough - and i worked out how toget python to receive the arguments, so its just a case of running it.  is there a function along the lines of:

run(program.exe, args)

where args is a dictionary of arguments or somethgin similar?

Thanks for all your help.

ok.....

ive been playign with system, and exec and all that - and i cant seem to get it working:

<?php
exec("myprogram.py");

echo "<br><br><br><br>";
echo "Script executed";

?>

[\CODE]

the php doesnt return any errors that cannot find file to run to run or anything - however the myprogram.py is meant to write a file, and its not working at all - its still a completely blank file ( it works when i run in on my ocmpuer not web based)

Thanks???

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.