Permissions Problem

dustinnoe

I am renting a VPS and everything works great except for any php file that tries to operate on a file or directory(ie: chmod).  I found that the problem lies in who the owner of the file/dir is.  In order to work properly it must be owned by php.  When I upload through ftp(filezilla) the file/dir uploaded will get the username of the user that is connected. 

How can I set up my server so that I do not have to manually change the owner of files and directories that php will need to operate on?

BTW:  Is it safe to set a directory to 777 and leave it that way?  Currently my script will chmod right before and after an operation needs to occur.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.