Get three decimal places

gple

$roster=mysql_query("select *, (hits/ab) as avg from softball_players, softball_rosters, softball_ostats where softball_ostats.roster_id=softball_rosters.id and softball_players.id=softball_rosters.player_id and softball_rosters.year='$year' order by avg desc");
$roster_num=mysql_numrows($roster);

How do I get avg to appear in three decimal places? Not two as this is outputting

I did and I am still getting it to two decimal places. I think something has to be done in the query where I coded (HITS/AB) as AVG. I think there is more coding involved here to have AVG go to three decimal places.

If there's only two decimal places being shown without you doing anything, then it would suggest that the number can be shown exactly to two decimals - that is, can be written as a fraction with 100 as the denominator.

Perhaps you wanted 3 decimals to be shown regardless? So an extra 0 would be shown? If so, you can use the number_format() function:

echo number_format($var,3);

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.