php cgi bin and htaccess

kaliok

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question. I have a site that was working fine, I have not changed a thing on it, and all of a sudden this morning it is not working. I have stripped down the code so that it is not using forcetype application to change my file names into php files, so I believe I have removed the possibility of it being a problem with htaccess. I have the same code below still working fine on other servers for other websites and I have put a absolute url on the front of the link just to make sure, but it still doesn't work. I am still getting a 404 error as follows:

The requested URL /fcgi-bin/php-cgi/index.php/bob was not found on this server.

bob is the name of the item in the mysql database table, but since the index.php isn't even being reached again, I don't think it is anything to do with that.

As you can see the code below is a standard link:

<a href='http://www.mysite.com/index.php/bob>BOB</a>

I don't think the code below is even being reached, since the page is going to 404. The index.php by itself works...

$url = substr($_SERVER['PATH_INFO'],1);
$urlParts = explode("/",$url); 
$myTitle=$urlParts[0];
$myTitle=strtolower($myTitle);

Could someone confirm that the problem is more than likely a hosting error, perhaps something to do with the php.ini file. I notice in the error it refers to a cgi-bin but I have never used cgi scripts nor the folder it is referring to.

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.