MySQL help

zeezack

What is wrong with this statement?

SELECT ACTION_CODE ACTION_CODE,ACTION_LEVEL ACTION_LEVEL,ACTION_MASTER ACTION_MASTER FROM ( SELECT alias.ACTION_CODE ,alias.ACTION_LEVEL ,alias.ACTION_MASTER , rownum r FROM ( SELECT ACTION_CODE ,ACTION_LEVEL ,ACTION_MASTER FROM ACTION_CODES ORDER BY ACTION_CODE ) alias WHERE rownum <= 4 ) WHERE r > 4

I think I have sorted out the spaces..but I still get an error? Is the mysql wrong..do I need to make an AS or something?

SELECT ACTION_CODE ACTION_CODE,ACTION_LEVEL ACTION_LEVEL,ACTION_MASTER ACTION_MASTER FROM ( SELECT alias.ACTION_CODE,alias.ACTION_LEVEL,alias.ACTION_MASTER, rownum r FROM ( SELECT ACTION_CODE,ACTION_LEVEL,ACTION_MASTER FROM ACTION_CODES ORDER BY ACTION_CODE ) alias WHERE rownum <= 4 ) WHERE r > 4

Then it is wrong, you cannot have spaces like that in an SQL statement for field names without surrounding them in parenthesis, this doesn't matter if its PERL, PHP, VB.NET, they are field names from the table/s you are basing the SELECT on and the space will cause the statement to error.

I imagine, that you may be using Constants to dynamically select fields but if thats the case you need to do this differently. Can you tell me what they are meant to be? Are they field names or some sort of constant or variable used to set the field name?

Oracle issue - this is connecting to an oracle database

sooooo the sql for this according to the document should be

SELECT ACTION_CODE ACTION_CODE,ACTION_LEVEL ACTION_LEVEL,

ACTION_MASTER ACTION_MASTER

FROM (SELECT alias.ACTION_CODE, alias.ACTION_LEVEL,

alias.ACTION_MASTER, rownum r

FROM ( SELECT ACTION_CODE,ACTION_LEVEL,ACTION_MASTER

FROM ACTION_CODES

ORDER BY ACTION_CODE

)

alias WHERE rownum <= 4

)

WHERE r > 4

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.