Point me in the right direction... please

3rdgear

I would recommend reading a book.  That is how I learned what I know (if you can consider that very much).  I believe that learning off the computer can be somewhat difficult, compared to learning the exact thing from a book.  I also find it difficult to read off a computer screen for a long period of time.  Another plus is the fact that books can be referenced easily.

There's nothing better than working on a project - create a table called people, and put in first, last, phone. Then build some PHP to interact with it - Add/Update/Delete.

Tip: put all your non-SELECT SQL in a separate page from your form and results pages. You'll be glad you did later:

FormPage > SQLPage > ResultsPage (can be FormPage again too).

But don't you have to have mySQL to run PHP?

Not at all. Whilst the majority of people using PHP use mySQL as their database, you don't have to. There's plently of alternatives (SQL lite, postgreSQL, MSSQL etc). Indeed, there's no requirement to have a database at all.

That said, if you want a quick and easy way to get started with running PHP/mySQL locally, i'd recommend installing wamp. It'll install PHP, mySQL and apache (web server) in a couple of steps. It'll also add in useful tools like phpMyAdmin (web based application that allows you to work with mySQL easily).

As for learning, i'd just get started with some tutorials.

MySQL and PHP are completely independent of one another. PHP is installed on a server. PHP and MySQL often go hand in hand because of how easily you can make them interact with one another. If you are new to both, I would suggest learning PHP and then incorporate MySQL in with that. One at a time.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.