How does it work?

maconsawdust

Forgive a total noob ... but I am stumped. I installed Apache and tested it using the localhost and my web page works perfectly. I asked a friend to enter my IP in her browser but it does not find my server. I am on cable so I have a static IP. I am also behind a US Robotics router. I set the port forwarding for port 80 to the internal IP of this computer. What else needs to be done?

The other thing is that I know of no way to test the server without having someone from another IP try it. Is there a way to do it that I am unaware of?

I hope I stated my problems clearly. Feel free to ask for clarifications if needed.

Regards,

Paul

Make sure your firewall is not blocking remote connections on port 80. Some ISP's block port 80 to prevent your from hosting a http server.

The best way is to setup an account at no-ip.com or dyndns.org and then use the provided IP address/domain instead.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.