My site is painfully slow. Help!

dewaphp

Hi Folks,

I am in the process of developing an online RSS aggregator site, http://www.kedoya.com . The site is currently in beta stage and is painfully slow due to large database. Due to its nature, Kedoya database grow by 10 MB everyday and will be 4 GB in size by the end of this year.

What is the best way to drammatically speed up my website other than restructuring the database design and indexes?

Thx a million!

4gb is not huge

Is it really mysql being slow or mysql hitting bottle knecks?

Check to see how apache is doing? Is it maximg out on allowed connections

Use innodb for mysql storage engine as this will stop table based locking

Pay attention to your big tables as these are the bad boys. Prune dead data you dont need

Use cache and I mean your own managed one. For example for a who's online rather than calculate it on every page refresh for every user run a cron job maybe every 3 mins and dump it in a text file. Then just include that

You need to look at where the problems are and fix them as there is no trick. Its based on your design and your clients

Post more info and we can take it a step further

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.