Memory

jaymc

Im going to be building a server, pretty juicy one too with 2 X quad cores and atleast 8GB of memory

Question is, do i really need to be using ECC memory. I know most servers use this but its a real pain getting a compatable motherboard and the memory, specially when working to budget

Would I really have much of a problem running a 4 web servers on the above spec in a VMWARE enviroment using NON-ECC

What things will suffer / improve using either types

• 3 weeks later...

What do you plan on using the web servers for? Personally if you are going to be running these as app servers then i would say yes as you want to make sure data is precise and there are not errors. Desktop machines you can get away with the errors but servers not so much.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.