PHP function to echo out a nested grouped list from MYSQL

magnetbox

Hello all..

I've done some PHP in my day, but I'm no guru, and I've been stuck trying to get one function to work properly.

What I want in a nutshell is an nested list with "Clusters" then SubClusters" listed under the appropriate cluster.

I have a database full of rows with cluster / subcluster declaration.

Here's the thing.

A row may have a cluster only.. subcluster is totally optional.

So, I need to be able to pull all the cluster and subcluster names, and nest the subclusters properly underneath their parent cluster.

It's probably something stupid I'm just overlooking....

Here's what I have working, except for the fact that its showing duplicate clusters ( I know why I have dups, but this gives me all the info I want to display)

echo'<ul>';

$result = mysql_query("SELECT cluster, subcluster FROM TABLE GROUP BY cluster, subcluster");
	while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) 
		{

if($row["subcluster"] != null)
			{
			echo '<li><a href="index.php?sort='.$row["cluster"].'">'.$row["cluster"].'</a></li>';
			echo '<ul>';
			echo '<li><a href="index.php?sort='.$row["subcluster"].'">- '.$row["subcluster"].'</a></li>';		
			echo '</ul>';
			}
			else 
			{
			echo '<li><a href="index.php?sort='.$row["cluster"].'">'.$row["cluster"].'</a></li>';
			}		
		}
echo '</ul>';

I don't know if that's possible to do in one SQL query. The results of an SQL statement is a one dimensional array. Somebody else may have a better solution for you, but here is how I have done it:

<?php
echo'<ul>';

$result = mysql_query("SELECT cluster, cluster_id FROM TABLE");
		{

$result2 = mysql_query("SELECT subcluster FROM TABLE WHERE parent_cluster_id = {$row['cluster_id']}");
			if (mysql_num_rows($result) > 0)
			{
				echo '<ul>';
				 while($row2 = mysql_fetch_array($result2)
				{	
					echo '<li><a href="index.php?sort='.$row2["subcluster"].'">- '.$row2["subcluster"].'</a></li>';			

}
				echo '</ul>';
			}
			else 
			{
			}		
		}
echo '</ul>';
?>

The problem with this is that you only can go to the first subcluster. If one subcluster can be the parent to another, this wouldn't work.

I think that SQL does not allow you to select data from infinitely nested rows in one query and also the fact that mysql_query() returns an 1 dimensional array also limits you.

This example is just what I've used to get around this problem. I hope that someone else can point out a more elegant solution.

I think this may work for you:

<?
echo'<ul>';
$this_cluster = '';	
$result = mysql_query("SELECT cluster, subcluster FROM TABLE GROUP BY cluster, subcluster");
		{
			if ($row['cluster'] != $this_cluster)
			{
				if ($this_cluster != '') echo '</ul>';
				$this_cluster = $row['cluster'];
				echo '<ul>';
			}
			if($row["subcluster"] != null)
			{
				echo '<li><a href="index.php?sort='.$row["subcluster"].'">- '.$row["subcluster"].'</a></li>';		
			}		
		}
 	 	 if ($this_cluster != '') echo '</ul>';
 echo '</ul>';
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.