MySQL help...

fabioisonfire

Here's the problem...

I deleted a few users from the database, and now, whenever a user registers, they are put into the 'users' table, but get a completely blank ID for the 'userstats' table, which causes all kinds of havoc to break loose. The 'users' section also makes their ID like there are, say, 60 members (the number before I deleted the users), when there is really only, say, 56. Is there any way to somehow... 're-align' the tables so they are both synced again?

I'm willing to let someone into my MySQL database to help out.

Well, when you enter data into the db, the auto-incremented 'id' field (if that's what you're talking about) will increment by 1. So, if you have (say) 60 entries and they have 'id' numbers 1-60 and you then delete 4 entries, you will be left with 56 entries, right? Okay, if you add a new entry (user), that entry will have an auto-incremented 'id' of 61. The 'id' of the deleted entries will NEVER be used again....so you might have (say) 1-56 showing, and the next entry will be 61

Well, when you enter data into the db, the auto-incremented 'id' field (if that's what you're talking about) will increment by 1. So, if you have (say) 60 entries and they have 'id' numbers 1-60 and you then delete 4 entries, you will be left with 56 entries, right? Okay, if you add a new entry (user), that entry will have an auto-incremented 'id' of 61. The 'id' of the deleted entries will NEVER be used again....so you might have (say) 1-56 showing, and the next entry will be 61

So there is NO way to fix this then? (Other than wiping the entire table.) And if it comes to wiping the table, is there a way to get my users' data back?

So there is NO way to fix this then? (Other than wiping the entire table.) And if it comes to wiping the table, is there a way to get my users' data back?

Nope, can't fix that. If the id field is the auto-incremented primary key, then you can't go back and 're-use' deleted id numbers. If you delete the table entirely and re-create it, you will have this same problem again the next time you delete an entry.....so....you need to re-think your table.

The best way to save the data if you choose to delete the table is to make a dump of the table data. If you are using phpMyAdmin, then it's easy to do

I'm not exactly sure of what you are trying to do here....it seems to me that you have 2 tables , 'users' and 'userstats'.

Let's say you have 'John' in your 'users' table, and in the 'userstats' table you have Johns weight of 76kg. How are you matching the John with his weight???

Are you expecting ) John to have an id of (say) 54 (in the users table, and for that to correspond with the id of 54 in the 'userstats' table which contains 76kg??

all you need to do is when you delete a database entry delete both ids from the two database fields that it....

The database id points to a user, so if you delete one user at id 67 then you need to also delete user id 67 from any other table.....

Yeah, realjumper. Would you be willing to go into my MySQL admin and check this out for me?

redarrow, it's too late for that.

Sorry, I'm at work at the moment....but redarrow is correct. The only way you're going to fix this is to dump both tables data and then delete the tables. Re-create the tables and insert the data so that it matches. But...this problem will occur again if you're not careful!!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.