need help with the basics of getting the Apache server online

sKunKbad

I have interest to run my own server, but have only had simple WAMP (on Win XP), and LAMP (on Ubuntu) experience. I understand nameservers in regards to what I have dealt with from owning domains and using many shared hosting accounts over the years, but how does a person go about going online and having nameservers set for their own server? I'm guessing that I have to have a static IP, and that I register that IP with somebody, but need more info.

I have Verizon's FIOS service, and understand that if I upgrade to business class that they allow me to run a server, but I'd like to know more about getting the server online vs. what I have been doing with my WAMP and LAMP installs, which has just been set up to develop websites locally before uploading to a shared hosting account.

I actually use no-ip.com for my server name. No-ip.com provides managed DNS, dynamic DNS , domain registration, email and many other domain related services to over 5 million customers worldwide. It is free to register at www.no-ip.com and from there you can pick a name like yourserver.no-ip.info or yourserver.myftp.org and so on. They have a lot of free domain names. With no-ip you do not have to have a static ip address because they have software you can download that will constantly monitor your ip address and if it changes it will update no-ip.com and your server will continue running with no interruptions. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply.

I have been learning a lot in the last couple of days. I was checking out another free service at http://zoneedit.com , which I think is probably similar to no-ip.com.

This would be my first attempt at running a web server, and I'm excited to see if I can get it going and not get hacked. I'm thinking about installing the new Ubuntu 8.04 Server on an old PC. I don't know if Ubuntu is the best choice, but I was figuring it might be the easiest, only because it's the only one I have seen installation tutorials for. The truth is I just don't know, so if you have any suggestions just let me know. I'm willing to read books and learn.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.