PHP User Reading and Keep Loggin

ionik

Ok,

Well I have been pondering over this for a good while and decided to make it into my CMS, what I would like to achieve is to be able to keep users logged in on a computer if they choose no matter what browser they come in with ( since if you login with firefox and comeback with IE your not logged in ) now doing this over IP would not be the correct solution because users can have multiple computers running in one house someone else visits they are logged in under that account,

As far as I know there is no possiable way to retrieve a user MAC address using PHP, is there a way to uniquely identify computers?

If there is no solution to this pondering question I have I am simply going to do it by IP and extremely warn the user.

Don't worry about anything expect uniquely identifying the users PC I already have all the session information and stored so it could be possible. 

I don't think there is a way to get to the MAC address or anything like that to identify the user. Hoping also that the user's machine isn't having their MAC Address cloned in the first place (some network devices do this).

IPs aren't perfect either since people can behind proxies or again other network devices. Take my connection for example. To the internet the building I work at comes from all 1 IP address, but of course internally we are on a different subnet. So if I were to log into this site, I would have the same IP external address as my buddy downstairs in a different department.

As for cookies between browsers. I don't know many people who surf using different browsers. I for one do all my surfing using Firefox. I have Safari, Opera, IE(5 & 6) for development needs, but I don't regularly use them.

I do not see why anyone would use multiple browsers, unless they were checking whether or not the website looked good in all of the browsers.  But then they can deal with not being logged in.

The only possible situation I see would be if one of their browsers crashed and they had to switch browsers.  But, they can then log in again.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.