Best anti-spam webservice

mlin

I'm wondering if anyone knows of the best anti-spam solution for things like blogs or contact pages. Yahoo, and google think that akismet seems to be the best solution but I need something a bit more flexible than just a wordpress plugin.

I'd like to be able to receive a post and simply submit that string to akismet for the thumbs up/down, without needing wordpress or some other 3rd party app. If I go through the trouble of getting an api key for wordpress can I somehow use this on my own stuff, or can I use the api key for another wordpress blog that I already have on another domain with a custom blog solution?

Otherwise does anyone know of a simple solution that will respond with a simple true or false and we can decide whether we'd like to trust the service, or create our own spam table to store the garbage to make sure we're not completely deleting valid contact forms or blog comments.

Thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.